Just bought an 05 Pathfinder LE!!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Doodooshootooo

Just bought an 05 Pathfinder LE!!

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 am

We LOVE it so far. We've had a 2001 Max, a 2012 Altima, and now this Pathfinder. We're also in the market for a newer Max too...

Anyway! I've been reading a lot about this transmission problem with the radiator fluid and all that. I was wondering: do all trucks with a tow hitch have a tow package? Meaning, can I do the bypass? Or is there another option?

What if the transmission was already replaced? Did Nissan have a fix for this? Or did they just replace everything for it to happen again?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: Just bought an 05 Pathfinder LE!!

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:52 am

Doodooshootooo wrote:We LOVE it so far. We've had a 2001 Max, a 2012 Altima, and now this Pathfinder. We're also in the market for a newer Max too...

Anyway! I've been reading a lot about this transmission problem with the radiator fluid and all that. I was wondering: do all trucks with a tow hitch have a tow package? Meaning, can I do the bypass? Or is there another option?

What if the transmission was already replaced? Did Nissan have a fix for this? Or did they just replace everything for it to happen again?
all US model R51 Pathfinders have the tow package
currently, the extended warranty includes a new/updated radiator, and any subsequent damage repaired that is caused by the radiator/transmission cooler failure
here is more info on the extended warranty:
http://www.nissanassist.com/web/Radiato ... hp?menu=21
as we do not know the service history of your particular truck, your last question is difficult to answer
:)

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:52 am

eieio wrote:
Doodooshootooo wrote:We LOVE it so far. We've had a 2001 Max, a 2012 Altima, and now this Pathfinder. We're also in the market for a newer Max too...

currently, the extended warranty includes a new/updated radiator, and any subsequent damage repaired that is caused by the radiator/transmission cooler failure
as we do not know the service history of your particular truck, your last question is difficult to answer
We're at 109k miles, so that would put us out of the extended warranty anyway :(

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am

Also, if I'm understanding this correctly... The fix would be as simple as capping off the inner radiator? Just bypassing it, correct?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:58 am

Doodooshootooo wrote:
eieio wrote:

We're at 109k miles, so that would put us out of the extended warranty anyway :(
do some searches at this forum on the by-pass procedure
i'd recommend doing the by-pass, especially at your mileage, unless you can somehow determine if you have an updated radiator

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:16 am

eieio wrote:
Doodooshootooo wrote:
eieio wrote: all US model R51 Pathfinders have the tow package
do some searches at this forum on the by-pass procedure
i'd recommend doing the by-pass, especially at your mileage, unless you can somehow determine if you have an updated radiator
I'm assuming the dealership would be able to tell?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:30 am

don't know, and wouldn't assume anything
there may be a thread here on this forum indicating the difference between new and old, maybe by part number

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:31 am

eieio wrote:

there may be a thread here on this forum indicating the difference between new and old, maybe by part number
Alright, I'll get to it! Thanks for your help!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 pm

Doodooshootooo wrote:
eieio wrote:

Alright, I'll get to it! Thanks for your help!
the by-pass is very quick & easy to do
it takes about 45 minutes max and requires no additional parts or materials
it is just as easily reversible
you might want to consider doing it until you get the rest of the details sorted out
i would
the radiator failure/trans damage is a disaster, better to avoid it

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:20 am

Genuine Nissan radiators will usually have "Nissan" molded in the upper tank, along with a Calsonic sticker on the driver's side of the radiator cap with a part #. If the last part of the 10-digit part # is "-EA215" or "-EA265," you have the original radiator in it. If the last part is "-9CA2E," your '05 has had the radiator replaced with a Nissan unit, but it "may" or "may not" be the updated unit, depending on when it was installed. The update seems to have been done during the "-9CA2E" range, but some have reported the early ones failing, so it's no guarantee. Aftermarket radiators will not have the Nissan sticker nor "Nissan" molded into the top tank. The also might have a different petcock. The Nissan petcock will be flat and have the "+" slotted in it, whereas an aftermarket "may" have a tab for one to grab onto and turn it as opposed to using a screwdriver.

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:38 pm

I'll be doing the bypass tomorrow. Is there a place locally (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc) that will have the male-male hose attachment and nipples so I don't have to order them online and wait 2 days?

AZ_Path

Postby AZ_Path » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:29 pm

Doodooshootooo wrote:I'll be doing the bypass tomorrow. Is there a place locally (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc) that will have the male-male hose attachment and nipples so I don't have to order them online and wait 2 days?
Did you confirm what radiator you have? smj's info should make it pretty quick to determine if you have a nissan or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket you don't need to do the bypass.

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 pm

AZ_Path wrote:
Doodooshootooo wrote:I'll be doing the bypass tomorrow. Is there a place locally (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc) that will have the male-male hose attachment and nipples so I don't have to order them online and wait 2 days?
Did you confirm what radiator you have? smj's info should make it pretty quick to determine if you have a nissan or aftermarket. If it's aftermarket you don't need to do the bypass.
It's EA265 :(

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:14 am

from my post above:
eieio wrote: it takes about 45 minutes max and requires no additional parts or materials

Doodooshootooo

Postby Doodooshootooo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:43 pm

eieio wrote:
from my post above:
eieio wrote: it takes about 45 minutes max and requires no additional parts or materials
Weird! I swear the one I read the other day had you connecting two hoses. I can't find it though. This is what I do though, right? Just swap hoses like here?

http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread ... pics/25955

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”