Aftermarket head unit solution for 08-12 path non bose.

Oh yeah, it's the geek bling with flashing lights, just can't get enough.

Moderator: volvite

Kdu800490

Aftermarket head unit solution for 08-12 path non bose.

Postby Kdu800490 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:00 pm

Newbie here.

Not sure if this has been done yet but it is possible to install aftermarket single DIN headunit without the need for the 300 dollar adapter and be able to retain all the infotainment functions. I installed mine in the empty cubby hole. Tapped the power, dimmer and ignition along with all the speaker wires and plugged everything back in and voila, it works perfectly. Installed Polk audio all around and the sound has been transformed ten folds and an amp hasn't even been installed yet.

Right now the head unit just has stuffing all around it to keep it still until I figure out a way to mount it. Any ideas? I'm thinking I might use the cubby hole mount as a template.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxSEnd ... cslist_api

AtlantaRuffian

Postby AtlantaRuffian » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:45 am

Whoa, that's a great idea!

So is the volume controlled by the new single din unit? I'm very intrigued by this idea; any chance you may be able to go into a little more detail about how you installed/hooked this up and how it all works?

Kdu800490

Postby Kdu800490 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:14 pm

If you don't mind splicing wires, its simple. I don't think this will work if you have Bose audio since there is an external amplifier most likely.

You want to find the harness that contains the speaker wires. Which is the top right harness on the head unit, looking at it from the back. Cut all the speaker wires, 8 of them, and connect them to the new radio harness. Tap (don't splice these wires. Wires seems to be the power for everything on the dash) the auto dimmer, and battery and ignition wires. Plug everything back in and that's it. The factory audio buttons will still function but no sound will come out them obviously and you retain all your climate control and infotainment screen functions. All audio functions will come from your new head unit. Just make sure you plug all original connectors back in otherwise nothing will work on the dash. I'm currently hunting down an interface for steering wheel controls.

Sony sells a 40w rms headunit if you're not looking to install and amp and keep things simple. All I can say is that just by installing 4 polks, the audio has transformed big time even with just 22w rms.

Still need ideas on how to make the bracket to mount the head unit sturdy.

Return to “NAV/GPS/Audio/Electronics”