cannot win...tpms

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

kingfisher73

cannot win...tpms

Postby kingfisher73 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:28 pm

I literally pick up my new to me 2005 Pathfinder..
and I love it...right up until the tpms light came on..checked all 4 tires..all good..all the se..
now what...and I am broke now..urg!!

eieio
Sponsored Member

Re: cannot win...tpms

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:00 pm

kingfisher73 wrote:I literally pick up my new to me 2005 Pathfinder..
and I love it...right up until the tpms light came on..checked all 4 tires..all good..all the se..
now what...and I am broke now..urg!!
both my 2005s have no problems, but the batteries in the sensors are 10 years old now
they won't last forever
i'd try disconnecting the (under the hood) battery for 1/2 hr, see what happens
it does take driving in a reasonably straight line for a period (check the owners' manual) to reset the TPMS system after a pressure warning episode
also, you're aware of the dreaded radiator/transmission failure potential, right?

kingfisher73

Postby kingfisher73 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:32 pm

yea thank you..I am aware..and the lines are already to an auxiliary cooler..not through the rad..

so disconnect battery..?
I have no idea when the batteries were changed in each sensor...is that a big job other than tire on and off?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:14 pm

kingfisher73 wrote:yea thank you..I am aware..and the lines are already to an auxiliary cooler..not through the rad..

so disconnect battery..?
I have no idea when the batteries were changed in each sensor...is that a big job other than tire on and off?
sometimes a battery disconnect will re-set a system
the batteries in the sensors are not replaceable or rechargeable
if they go bad, the whole sensor will need replacement

kingfisher73

Postby kingfisher73 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:52 pm

ok..thx guys for the info

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:25 am

The TPMS sensor batteries last about 6-7 years on average. If they are about that age or older and your code is set due to a low battery, then it makes sense to replace all four sensors. I always go with Dorman direct-fit TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com. They sell for about $40 each and have a lifetime warranty. The tires have to be dismounted to install them, so if the tires don't have a lot of tread on them left, it makes sense to replace the sensors when you replace the tires. The sensors will need to be "woke up" with a TPMS trigger tool and then registered to the TPMS controller. This can be done easiest with a capable scan tool, or by using the diagnostic connector reset procedure.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”