The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Looks like my rad has failed
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are bang on as usual. They copped up to picking the wrong part. Got it sorted today.

Thanks!
t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning all!

Got the Pathy pretty much wrapped up last night. Still need to get get some self tapping bolts for the ones I broke and had to drill out. But looks as though I have successfully burped the system, and have taken it on 3 longer drives (more than 10 miles) while watching my Superchips for the Engine Coolant Temp variance.

First time I fired it up, the coolant temp got to 180 and stabilized. At that point, there was no hot air coming out of the vents, though, so I knew there was plenty of air in the system still. The air must have percolated to the top of the system, because suddenly the ECT spiked up to about 220F. I shut down, and topped off the rad. Started it again and ran to 190F, and shut down and called it a night. (it was 12:30am) I left the pressure cap and rad cap half way off, to allow more air to move. Also left the truck on ramps overnight.

Last night I topped off the rad before starting, and once again ran up to about 195F. Shut down, opened the pressure cap, (heard a bunch of bubbles in the rad at this point) and then the rad cap, and topped off. Did this about 3 times, then took it for a spin (about 5 miles). Got back, let it cool while I did the engine oil and transmission fluid change. Topped off again, and took for a 10 mile drive. Got home, and the level was good. Checked this morning again before heading to work, and the level was still good.

Will check before I leave work today to see if any more air has worked its way up the system, but the temp on my superchips was pretty stable at around 188-195F the whole way here (about 25 miles highway and last 5 miles city) so it looks like I've finished this task.

New fan clutch comes in next week, although after putting the old one back on, for some reason it seems quieter now. Pretty sure this is the original clutch, so will be changing anyways, along with front and rear brake pads and rotors either Monday or Tuesday. That should be the last of the stuff I need to do before winter maintenance wise.

Note that I used Honda Type 2 premix as my coolant (I had some in my garage for my other car). This is what I had in the Pathy's system before, and I've had great success with it. The old coolant I drained still looked great, so it has done a good job of keeping the system clean. Perhaps will be doing a quick PH test on it to see whether its gone acidic, and to what extent.

Thanks again SMJ for the input on the thermostat.

t

'05 Pathfinder SE Premium 4x4 - 315000kms (195000mi) - weekend warrior, Cortex Superchips on 87 Octane Tune, K&N filtercharger, Airlift 1000, Prodigy Brake controller, 7 pin trailer hookup, Prostart Remote Starter, Bilstein 4600 rear shocks, Cooper Discoverer ATw P265/70/16
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note regarding the rad installation.

There are brackets that need to be swapped from the old rad to the new one. The bolts were pretty rusted, and therefore not practical to remove while still in the truck, although doing this would make removal of the rad easier due to interference with transcooler and HVAC lines. I still made it happen with minimal effort.

However, putting it back in is another story, as you want to be really careful with the new rad, and not damage the condensor.

What I ended up doing is putting the driver side channel onto the new rad. I could then drop the rad into its mount, and mount the condensor to that side. Then I installed the other channel on the passenger side while in the vehicle and swung it into place in the other mount. Worked really well and helped ensure I didn't damage either the rad or condensor.

smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why they had to make it such a PITA! Older generations are a piece of cake to R&R the radiator!
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
ShawnTRD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My radiator should be getting replace thanks to the deer last week. Still at the body shop waiting for a estimate.

https://goo.gl/photos/qa73baH89NpxZMhJA
ShawnTRD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got the estimate emailed. Looks like they are replacing the Radiator support, but not the Radiator. That is part of the Radiator that is broke right?
eieio
Sponsored Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShawnTRD wrote:
just got the estimate emailed. Looks like they are replacing the Radiator support, but not the Radiator. That is part of the Radiator that is broke right?

you might hop on down to the body shop, and have them show you what they have in mind for your truck

"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that pin that broke off the top is part of the upper radiator tank. So, it needs a radiator.
2006 Pathfinder LE VQ40DE AWD, aftermarket radiator, Airlift 1000's, Bilstein HD rear shocks, Doug Thorley shortie headers and mid-pipes, Magnaflow 12580 muffler, aFe Momentum GT CAI w/ dry filter, XTP plenum spacer, Superchips Flashpaq tuner
jester125

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got my new rad in from Amazon(good reviews) yesterday with a new cap and thermo. I'm planning on doing it over the weekend, its been raining for 3 days now and I dont have a garage so my driveway is I'll perform the surgery. How was the removal/install and how long did it take? The service manual makes it look pretty tedious but a youtube vid I found makes it look a lot easier.
thanks, Chris

06 SE V6 4x4
146K+ miles
smj999smj
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe book labor time is 3.0 hours for just the radiator. The biggest pain is the side brackets on the radiator and trying to maneuver then around the A/C lines.
jester125

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just finished replacing the rad. It wasnt too bad and took about 4-1/2 hours for me. I filled it up with water for now to check for leaks and let it run, it gets hotter than before and no heat, does that mean it has air and/or needs more water/coolant?

thanks
Chris
disallow
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is air in the system. See my comments above regarding how I got rid of it.

Don't let it run low on coolant. You don't want to cavitate your water pump.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> 2005-2012 Pathfinder (R51) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: