1999 Accord Timing Belt - grrrr

Anything automotive in nature, be it Nissan or one of those "other" manufacturers.

Moderator: volvite

disallow
Site Admin

1999 Accord Timing Belt - grrrr

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:32 pm

Hey all,

So my other car (work beater) is a 99 Honda Accord 2.3L 4cyl. Just rolled 205k kms (127k miles) and it is due (past) for a timing belt change. These are interference engines, so if you let it go for too long, you are in for a world of hurt. And after inspecting the belt, I needed to get on this right away. The belt is quite worn and cracked. It may not have been changed at 100k kms, based on what I am seeing.

I've done about 3-4 of these jobs on Honda's over the years, but the last time was about 5-6 years ago. Amazing how you forget the small details of these jobs as time goes by.

I also have an oil leak I'd like to track down.

Got the car disassembled, but right aways made my life more difficult by not indexing the balance belt before I removed it. I usually use a dab of white out on the pulley and the belt to make sure I can index it to the same place it was before, but with the new belt. This way you don't have for f*&^ around with finding top dead center. So I screwed that up.

Now I just need to put it back together. Replaced belts, water pump, tensioners. I have the cam and crank seals, but I don't see any oil leaking so I will be leaving them be. The oil leak seems to be coming from the valve cover, and I have a new one of those, along with some silicone to seal it up once I put it all back together.

Once I have the t-belt back on, I will be finding TDC, and then will index both the timing belt (though I'm sure it is good, just want to ensure I didn't skip a tooth or 2) and the balance belt using the marks on the block. I have a wooden spoon stuck down cylinder #1 and have the reference mark on the cam pulley, so I should be able to figure it out pretty easily. There is a lock using a 6x100MM bolt on the rear balance shaft, and the front one just has a marking to line up to on the block.

Sooo, am I missing anything?

t

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:24 pm

I don't think so, but the chef is probably wondering: "What the heck happened to my wooden spoon?"
:)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:50 pm

chef = me

:)

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:53 am

Well now I have the timing belt on. Checked and I am at TDC and everything is in the right place so that makes me happy.

Tonight will be the balance belt, then button it back up, top off with coolant and cross my fingers!

I had taken the sparkplugs out, so rotating the crank became *really* easy, so much so that I sat there scratching my head for about 20 minutes trying to figure out why my belt was off by one tooth. Then suddenly it was off by 6 teeth, and I figured it out... DOH!

Return to “General Automotive”