Park brake stuck

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

abiduwhabi

Park brake stuck

Postby abiduwhabi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:36 am

Hey guys,

So, the other night I came home and parked on my sloped driveway. I wen to apply the park brake but my foot slid off, I then finished pushing the brake down and didn't think anything about it. The next morning I got up and went to release the brake but it would not come off the floor. After about an hour of messing with the rear brakes and the lever it finally came loose but I have no idea what I did.

Last night came home and out of habit just applied the brake again, and again it will not release. The brakes are applied, but I can still rock the car back and forth. Is there another release for the brake?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:18 am

There's not another release. What's the weather like where you are at? Any chance that they are freezing up?

abiduwhabi

Postby abiduwhabi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:35 am

The weather has been bad lately here in Kentucky, and it did start with the first snow that we got. It's been around 45 today and it's still stuck, I'm going to let the snow melt a little bit more today and I'll go mess with it some more.

Just to make sure, the park brake is the small pads on the inside of the rotor? I got under there earlier this morning and wiggled some stuff around but couldn't get fully under do to the snow, to get a good look.

abiduwhabi

Postby abiduwhabi » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:20 pm

Ok, finally went out and got to mess with it. It was still locked up, so I decided to look under the dash. I reached up in there and felt a little button that I could push up and down, stuck my head under there and this switch is connected to a wire which I would guess signals the brake light to come on. I twisted it a few times and pushed it up. I then pushed the park brake with my hand, it clicked and released. Of course this scared the crap out of me because the vehicle rolled back so I pushed the brake back on. Stuck again.

Continued to play around with under the dash and finally got it released again. I'm thinking that when my foot slipped off the first time I have messed something up under the dash.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:36 pm

It's possible. The parking brakes are the brake shoes that sit inside the hub of the rear brake disc rotor. It's a pretty simple system. You just have the pedal assembly, cables to the rear brakes, shoes, adjuster and lever mechanism.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”