TPMS Screen ID Help

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

nathanawill

TPMS Screen ID Help

Postby nathanawill » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:27 am

Is there an easy way to identify which tire this is? Also, is this likely a TPMS sensor that I need to replace? Any assistance or information is greatly appreciated. I'm just trying to determine the next step I need to take.

See attached image or follow this link: http://s12.postimg.org/fme2egoot/IMG_2054.jpg

free image host

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:54 am

Inflate them 1 psi one by one and make notes

nathanawill

Postby nathanawill » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:57 am

After I identify the problem wheel, is the next step to just replace the TPMS sensor, activate it, and pray that was the problem? Any way to test the sensor without spending any $$$? I'm guessing it's a dead battery or bad sensor. Original TPMS sensors are still on this 2008 Pathfinder, so they've lasted already 8 years.

skinny2
Sponsored Member

Postby skinny2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:01 am

Mine have been doing this for two winters now. As soon as it drops to below 10°F one of the sensors craps out. My tire shop checks them all and they're working when they test it so they reset and it's good again until temp drops. I'm just waiting until it warms up for good then I'll reset. At one time I thought the order on the display was:

Front Right
Rear Right
Front Left
Rear Left

As mentioned, you could air up a tire by several psi and see which changed. You'll have to do more than 1psi because they move around by that much all the time.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:24 pm

Yeah most tire shops will check them for you.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:22 pm

If you have the type of TPMS tool that tests signal strength, then the sensor can be tested.
The order of the screen reads in order from top to bottom, IF the wheels are in their original location when the TPMS sensors were programmed, left/front, right/front, right/rear and left/rear. If the tires were rotated after the time they were programmed to the TPMS control unit, then the order will be in-accurate, as well as the information one would read on a scan tool regarding sensor location.
Most Nissan TPMS sensors seem to last around 6-7 years, approximately, so when one goes around that time, you're best to replace the whole set and be done with it. If you are close to being due for tire replacement, that would make even more sense to replace them all.
I've been using Dorman direct-fit TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com. At about $40 each, they are half the price of genuine Nissan units and, unlike the Nissan unit's 1-year warranty, the Dorman sensors carry a lifetime warranty.
Some sensors are sold in "sleep mode" and some come ready to install. A TPMS trigger tool is used to wake up those sensors, as well as for the programming procedure if programming them with a scan tool. There is a manual method that involves a specific grounding sequence of the TPMS test connector (near the OBD II diagnostic port) and adjusting the tires in the LF-RF-RR-RL sequence with each tire set 3 PSI less than the previous in the order.

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:34 pm

how old is your PAthy ?reason I ask is i went though the same last year. One sensor died ( PF is 2008 and that was same location as you . front right.
Most likely dead battery inside the TPMS sensor ( they are good for 6 to 7 years). So you might get other sensors going bda in a few months.

What I did was buy a set of 4 OEM on ebay and have my costco replace them. They synch them up with their machine. No issues since then.
I paid $55 for all 4 on ebay. ( used ones).

No charges at costco as I was getting new tires at the same time.

Dealership wanted $140 each + labor to change...

V8Pathy

Postby V8Pathy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:36 pm

just saw yours is 2008 too. Most likely dead battery.
I advice you change all 4 at the same time. Costco tire shop knew how to pair the new sensors with my car.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:34 pm

V8Pathy wrote:how old is your PAthy ?reason I ask is i went though the same last year. One sensor died ( PF is 2008 and that was same location as you . front right.
Most likely dead battery inside the TPMS sensor ( they are good for 6 to 7 years). So you might get other sensors going bda in a few months.

What I did was buy a set of 4 OEM on ebay and have my costco replace them. They synch them up with their machine. No issues since then.
I paid $55 for all 4 on ebay. ( used ones).

No charges at costco as I was getting new tires at the same time.

Dealership wanted $140 each + labor to change...
I hope you have better luck than the ones I bought on Ebay about a year ago! I had a thread on it. The sensors I had were old stock, as you can tell by the date code on them. I had one no good right out of the box, then the next one died a week later, and just last week, the other two died. Learning my lesson, I get Dorman direct-fit TPMS sensors from Rockauto.com. They are half the price of genuine Nissan sensors and have a lifetime warranty, as opposed to 12 month/12000 miles for the Nissans. I have Dorman sensors on three Nissan vehicles and they are all working fine. FYI, genuine Nissan TPMS sensors are actually Schrader sensors.

nathanawill

Re: I like the Costco idea

Postby nathanawill » Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:03 am

I still have about a year or so left on my current tires, so I think I'll just live with this inconvenience until I get new tires next year. And I'm glad to hear that Costco will install new TPMS sensors if I provide them. It's not worth it to me to pay for new 4-wheel install quite yet since I'll be getting replacements next year anyway. I'll update this next year to let you know how it worked with RockAuto sensors and costco installation.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”