Fender flares/flaps

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

RDCE

Fender flares/flaps

Postby RDCE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi All, new here. Just picked up an '07 LE with 95k mi. I am looking to upgrade tires soon as it came with winters on it and there's not much snow around here. When I do, I wanna go a little taller and a little wider like I did on my '01 Xterra. Problem is, currently there are no flaps on the Pathy and I don't want all the side spray that my Xterra had. So, I thought I might make some mild, graduated, fender flare/flaps out of ABS sheet that's 1/8" thick. Plastics shop says it's heat moldable, strong yet flexible. This project would cost me about $30.

I took some pics of the mock up for your thoughts. No prob if you don't like them or don;t think they would work out,

*Note: the bottom width of the flares is not as it will be if I proceed. It will be the full width of the tire or just slightly narrower on the inside.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:41 pm

I like it
Looks nice thanks for sharing.
I have been debating making my own flaps and might go the route also.

RDCE

Postby RDCE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:33 pm

Thanks! I was thinking this afternoon that I might try to make a "bead" on the edge to give it a little more stability and to try to contain more of the spray. Being heat mold-able I'm gonna give it a try with my heat gun and laminate roller while clamping the ABS to my work bench. Will post pics when attempted.

To make this thread a little more applicable to the "Tires" section, I am planning on buying some Kumho Road Venture AT51's. I had the prev version, the SAT's and really liked them for their versatility. Anyone have experience with the AT51's?

The largest size the make that will fit a stock suspension is the 275/70/R17.

These should fit without rub should they not?

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:05 am

how dit go?

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”