Rear Passenger Side Wheel Bounce

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

reedgc

Rear Passenger Side Wheel Bounce

Postby reedgc » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:14 pm

Hey y'all,
I'm new to this site and relatively inexperienced when it comes to working on cars. So, here is my situation.
I drive a 98 4x4 5speed stick shift pathfinder. The rear passenger side wheel repeatedly bounces when I make semi sharp left turns at most any speed over 20mph.
I assume that would be a blown out shock or strut, but I've never dealt with suspension issues before, so I'm not sure how to tackle it.
Any advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Reedgc

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:26 pm

The rear suspension links, uppers and lowers, are known for failing on these Pathfinders. The rubber bushings will split and create handling issues in the rear. If you are not familiar with suspensions, I would recommend you have a professional auto technician inspect your vehicle to see what's going on. As far as the shocks, look for signs of hydraulic fluid leakage, dents, heavy rust or corrosion and/or excessive bouncing when you push up and down on the vehicle a few times (if it bounces more than once, the shocks are likely due for replacement).

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”