Fuel Pump Failure

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

giffnockpath

Fuel Pump Failure

Postby giffnockpath » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:52 am

Hello everyone,

new user here, sadly posting for the first time as our pathfinder sits lifeless in a garage somewhere.

I have a 2011 Tekna 190Dci which has just under 60k miles on the clock. At the weekend it blew spectacularly with plumes of black smoke piling out the back, pretty scary experience with the kids in the back.

Anyway, I'm being told by the dealer that the fuel pump has failed and shattered pieces of metal throughout the fuel system. Been trying to get some kind of explanation from the dealer and Nissan UK as to why this would happen on a 4 year old car but neither seem willing or able to answer me. Absolutely eyewatering bill from them to fix.

Done a quick search for similar but couldn't see anything here. Has anyone got any experience of this, or knowledgable enough to know why this could happen? Any help/ideas appreciated

giffnockpath

Postby giffnockpath » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 am

Just an update for anyone who may be interested now, or in the future.

On day 18 now with my Pathfinder still with the dealer. Been back and forth with them and Nissan UK constantly in this time.

Latest is that the entire fuel system (pump, rails, injectors, lines) have been replaced but engine not turning over properly. Makes me wonder if the problem has been properly diagnosed and/or understood. Only explanation Nissan have offered thus far as to the cause of failure is 'contaminated fuel' from filling station.

Have been in touch with Esso UK who have rubbished these claims.

giffnockpath

Postby giffnockpath » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:12 am

On Day 24 now; learned yesterday that there is a 'knock' coming from the engine and the entire engine apparently needs to be replaced. 58k miles on the clock!

Nissan UK still cannot offer any explanation for this or the fuel pump failure.

Really think that they have no idea what's wrong with it and no intention of finding out. It seems to me that they are simply replacing parts to see if it works.

patomwazi

Postby patomwazi » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:07 am

Warranty?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:49 pm

giffnockpath wrote:On Day 24 now; learned yesterday that there is a 'knock' coming from the engine and the entire engine apparently needs to be replaced. 58k miles on the clock!

Nissan UK still cannot offer any explanation for this or the fuel pump failure.

Really think that they have no idea what's wrong with it and no intention of finding out. It seems to me that they are simply replacing parts to see if it works.
sounds like a typical American dealership
........must be an international phenomena
at whose expense are they replacing these parts that aren't solving the problem?

giffnockpath

Postby giffnockpath » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:53 pm

I am paying 25% of parts for fuel system and labour costs involved in that 'fix' - Nissan now paying for engine but again I need to pay for labour costs!

Bought from an approved used dealer less than 2 years ago and services by them ever since, but this 'gesture' is as far as they will go. Car under warranty mileage but over time period (3 years)

Still no explanation as to the cause of either issue.

[/list]

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”