Mysterious Engine Noise during Acceleration\Deceleration

You gotta Love these old VG30E/i powered beasts, raw truck DNA to the core.

Moderator: volvite

JoshCampbell

Mysterious Engine Noise during Acceleration\Deceleration

Postby JoshCampbell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Hello Everyone. My apologies for waiting until I needed help to join a Pathfinder site. I should have joined a long time ago. I got my first 94 Pathfinder back in 97 by chance. It was shoved in the back of one of those 'Junkers for Sale' type places for like $2500. I loved that buggy. Sadly it was purchased in Maine, so the body literally rusted out around the engine and I had to let it go. I have driven nothing but 94-95 Pathfinders ever since. For the record, I feel deep remorse for what has become of the Pathy.

With that said, I now drive a 95 Pathfinder, and like most early model Pathfinders this one has continued to perform like a champ, despite its less than babied life. Now that college is done and money is coming in I'm conflicted on whether or not to sink thousands into restoring this vehicle (as it has certainly earned) or simply look into a Frontier or Titan. I have actually begun dumping money into it already, but this new sound coming from the left side below the head is giving me pause. There is currently nothing on YouTube that comes close to matching it (until now that is), so I am hoping that one of you fine folks will recognize it. I work on motorcycles, not cars, so I'm not sure how much I can contribute. I'll do my best though :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB6XOJ5 ... e=youtu.be

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:09 pm

The "clicking" or "tapping" noise when you rev the engine is a leaking exhaust manifold gasket, or possibly even a cracked manifold. You'll probably find broken exhaust studs and it is very common problem, especially on the passenger side. Nissan now has harder exhaust studs to help with the issue. The problem is the old, broken studs will need to be drilled out and some come out easier than others.
I've never heard the "high pitched" noise in my 16 years working for Nissan, but it "may" be also related to the exhaust leak. I'm thinking the leaking exhaust may be pushing past the heat shield and creating the noise. You might try pressing something against various points of the heat shield, especially near the crack in the shield, using a piece of wood or similar tool, while revving the engine to see if the noise changes. If it does, that's your problem.
If you had the timing belt replaced recently, it can create a high-pitched noise, as well, if it was installed too tight.

JoshCampbell

Postby JoshCampbell » Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:22 pm

Thank you for your reply. It turned out to be a busted bolt in the exhaust manifold. I'm a little fuzzy on the details, but it cost $400 for them to go in, drill it out, and replace it.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:47 pm

not too bad then... hope you get a few more miles out of it before you have to blow a bunch on a new vehicle.

Return to “1986-1995 Pathfinder (WD21)”