How About a DIY BBK!

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:38 pm

SETI20 wrote:And yes, those pads squeal like a glass cutter if you're lucky enough Wink
You weren't kidding. The pads work wonderfully, but like to squeal at the worst times. Usually in parking lots around people that try to warn me that my brakes are broken. I foolishly try to explain that I have installed a special Japanese, high friction, hybrid street/track pad while I watch them begin to regret their attempt to help me. Also, my wife hates the noise, so they had to go.

SETI20 wrote:That is quite impressive! I'll back track through the post again to nitpick some details.

What would you guess is the dollar amount invested in this?
I think I ended up around the cost of a Stillen BBK, but you can learn from my mistakes and spend less. In fact, here is a list of the parts and prices to build your own kit.
  • $525 Custom rotor hats (pm me)
    $338 Rotor rings (Z1 motorsports)
    $270-565 Calipers (Reman or New)
    $90-115 Stainless lines
    $35-150 Pads
    $15 Pad hardware
    $7 370z banjo bolts
So you are between $1275 and $1725 to build your own kit. Plus spacers if you need them. $1275 for a BBK is a pretty reasonable price. The rotor hat pricing is volume dependent too, so if you can get a small group together you can bring the cost down even more.

Also, sometimes you can even get better deals on reman calipers, Rockauto had a pair of Powerstop calipers that were powder coated red for around $225 a few weeks ago.

NmexMAX

Postby NmexMAX » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:02 am

Any pointers on dimensions to take in order to figure out if we will need spacers or no regarding aftermarket wheels?

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:14 am

NmexMAX wrote:Any pointers on dimensions to take in order to figure out if we will need spacers or no regarding aftermarket wheels?
I haven't yet taken detailed measurements on the caliper, but I had to space the stock wheel out a minimum of 12mm to clear the new calipers. So if you measured from the widest part of the stock caliper and added at least 12mm that should get you close. How much space do you have between the spokes and caliper on your aftermarket wheels?

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am

Also, I am redesigning the rotor hat to be simpler and too work better with aftermarket wheels. It should also reduce the cost to manufacture. Hope to get the quotes back this week or next.

BullDozer

Postby BullDozer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:19 am

Good Job! Thanks for taking the time to share.

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 pm

It has been a busy summer, so I have fallen a little behind on version 2.0. I just submitted me design for a simpler rotor hat to reduce the cost. Hopefully it will be a substantial reduction in cost and get the cost for the entire conversion under $1100. I will update this thread when I hear back from Coleman about the new rotor hats.

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:32 pm

Okay, got very favorable pricing back on the hats, now working on getting pricing down on the rotors. With rebuilt calipers, you can actually put a Big brake kit together for under $1000, plus spacers if you need them.

My question is, who would be interested in putting these on their rigs at that price point? To get the better pricing on the hats and rotors I would need to organize some sort of group buy, with at least 5 people. It would look something like buying the hats and possibly rotors through me, and then getting the pads, lines, and calipers of your choice. Anyone here interested in something like that?

Maybe something I can put in the general forum as well?

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:35 pm

I have been working on putting together a DIY kit for the Akebono brake upgrade and have it ready to go.

I put together a kit with all the hard to source parts. All you would need to get to complete the package are calipers and pads (maybe wheel spacers too).

The kit will cost $695 plus shipping and will include:
- Rotors: Z1 Motorsports 14" rotor rings in plain, slotted, or sprinkle slotted.
- Custom rotor hats: black anodized finish
- Rotor hardwear
- Extended Stainless brake lines
- Banjo bolts and crush washers

If you pick up some rebuilt calipers and Posiquiet pads from Rockauto, you can put this kit together for about $925 plus shipping.

I have worked with a few vendors to get the prices down to make these kits, and it would require at least 5 people to buy to get that price going.

I will be able to help with caliper selection, pad selection, wheel fit/caliper clearance and general help as needed. It's all bolt on and made a big difference in my Pathfinder. Just remember, you will need at least 18" wheels to clear these things.

So, is anyone interested?

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:49 pm

I was wondering if you had this in here.
so Kevinthepro said in here he wants to do it?
If so 1 more guy in Frontier forum and me. Should be 3 people interested for now.

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:23 pm

forgottenzone wrote:I was wondering if you had this in here.
so Kevinthepro said in here he wants to do it?
If so 1 more guy in Frontier forum and me. Should be 3 people interested for now.
We are getting closer to the 5 people I was hoping we could get on board to make the very affordable! I can get the hats in smaller sets, but the cost of anodizing goes up significantly. The hat price also goes up a bit more too, but with the more simple design I have come up with, it helps.

I don't think I put it in the thread, but if you want to see if it will fit under your wheel, download the template here: https://conceptzperformance.com/images/ ... mplate.pdf)

Just remember, in our application that the caliper will be about 12mm closer to the wheel.

forgottenzone

Postby forgottenzone » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:26 am

Reds12t, Check your Messages Please.

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Okay, got this set up for buying just the hats and hardware. That way you can get rotors, lines, calipers, and pads on your own. Just the hats and hardware will be $385 shipped to your door.

They will be the new design, so they will look a little different, and they will come anodized black.

Will this work better for everyone?

Skylar1692

Postby Skylar1692 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:25 pm

I would definitely be interested in this! Only thing I need now are 18" whhels and tires. I just bought 285/75r16 BFg KO2's this past week. Any other options for us folks with OEM 16" Wheels?

reds12t

Postby reds12t » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:03 am

Skylar1692 wrote:I would definitely be interested in this! Only thing I need now are 18" whhels and tires. I just bought 285/75r16 BFg KO2's this past week. Any other options for us folks with OEM 16" Wheels?
I am not familiar with any upgrades that fit under the 16" wheel. You could try the V8 pathfinder stock front caliper and rotor, which is a bit bigger then the V6 stuff. I think they might be a bit too large to fit under the stock 16's though.

You need to return those tires and upgrade!

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:07 am

reds12t wrote:Okay, got this set up for buying just the hats and hardware. That way you can get rotors, lines, calipers, and pads on your own. Just the hats and hardware will be $385 shipped to your door.

They will be the new design, so they will look a little different, and they will come anodized black.

Will this work better for everyone?
That is actually a very good price. I'm gonna have to go through this thread again. Brakes might be up for service next spring. Probably worth the upgrade.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”