Known Fuel Gauge issue showed up 2008 Pathfinder 77k miles

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

socal77

Known Fuel Gauge issue showed up 2008 Pathfinder 77k miles

Postby socal77 » Wed May 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Until last week I had no idea there was a known fuel gauge issue. I filled up my tank and then noticed the needle didn't go all the way up. Showed half a tank. After a couple minutes it corrected itself.

So now it happens intermittently. The Check Engine light comes on too. I have a cheap code reader I keep in my glove box so can erase the code until it pops up again.

I went to the local dealer today and he knew what it was as soon as I mentioned it. Said the warranty on the fix ran out in May 2014 or 72,000 miles so I'm out of luck and it will cost $600 to repair. I'm not paying $600 for something that's their fault.

Anyone had luck putting pressure on Nissan to get it fixed even out of their warranty period. I know in the past that dealers will do things if you "push the right buttons". I'm open to ideas.

This is my 3rd Pathfinder. Not a happy camper. How dumb is Nissan to lose loyal customer. They KNOW it's their fault but won't stand behind it.

:?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 05, 2016 5:28 am

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, they always say. I doubt they'll do anything, but you can always try. Bend their ears at the customer service hotline at 1-800-NISSAN-1. You could also complain to the service manager and general manager at the dealer. Sometimes they'll meet you halfway; they'll cover 50% or maybe cover the labor if you buy the part. If that doesn't work, you could always get an independent auto repair shop to do the job. It's not that bad of a gas tank to drop, as far as gas tanks go. I'm sure you can find an auto repair shop to do it for less than $600. Good luck!

Gottcha86

Postby Gottcha86 » Thu May 05, 2016 9:39 am

Had the same thing happen to my 2006 except mine would stick at 1/4 tank after a fill up. Nissan replaced the sending unit and that didn't do it so I had them replace the tank and it has worked ever since. The mechanic said something about the tanks being slightly different.

Return to “R51 General Chat”