Best tires???

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

pathfinderspot10

Best tires???

Postby pathfinderspot10 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:48 pm

So I bought these 18's and installed them on my 2010 Nissan Pathfinder SE. I need new tires, what do you guys recommend?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue May 31, 2016 8:55 pm

It all depends on what kind of tires you need. Highway all-season...all-terrain...do you drive in much snow?
Best tires I've had on my Pathfinders are Michelin LTX M/S2's. I believe they are being replaced by the Defender model. I do mostly highway and paved roads, some gravel roads and mud and a few days in the winter with up to 8" of snow. They've a great, all around tire.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:00 am

It helps to make a list of the top 5 things that are the most important to you in a tire like 1. Quiet on the road 2. Rain performance 3. Soft ride .. Etc.. Then go to a reputable tire dealer and explain to him what you are looking for starting with the most important first. Tires are a science and not one tire can do everything best. I usually need a solid all terrain tire that has real good snow performance and that sometimes giving up some tire noise and soft ride.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:38 am

My Cooper ATWs seem to have covered all of my bases:

Excellent manners on the road
Quietest tire I've ever driven on
Great on Snow and Ice
Great in rain
Tread is wearing great after 30k kms

I've always ended up hating something about tires i buy, but these ones have been awesome.

The ATW is a snowflake rated AT3 with extra sawtooth in the tread.

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:48 am

Bfg KO2s for all terrains

labsy

Postby labsy » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:49 am

Goodyear Duratracs are excellent choice, too. They do not wear too much (done 30k with them and thread went down from approx. 15 mm to 12 mm). Also they are excellent in snow, mud, terrain, surprisingly NOT loud on highway and they stick almost excellent under any weather conditions, in winter and during summer.

The only disadvantage might be vulnerable side walls, which quite soft and you might cut it on sharp rocks. I did mine once when driving on scrapyard.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:01 pm

Tirerack.com is a good site for comparing tires and they have a tire search tool.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:24 pm

labsy wrote:Goodyear Duratracs are excellent choice, too. They do not wear too much (done 30k with them and thread went down from approx. 15 mm to 12 mm). Also they are excellent in snow, mud, terrain, surprisingly NOT loud on highway and they stick almost excellent under any weather conditions, in winter and during summer.

The only disadvantage might be vulnerable side walls, which quite soft and you might cut it on sharp rocks. I did mine once when driving on scrapyard.
Duratracks are on my sisters Jeep it's an impressive tire in many ways. Real good in the snow and much quieter then I expected for such an aggressive tire. It's a bit to aggressive for my needs but if you do any off roading and or need a good A/T tire for bad weather it would make a good option.

Odin

Postby Odin » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:27 pm

As mentioned, it comes down to what kind of tire you'll need. Do you drive exclusively on pavement, mostly off road, or a mix? I find I do about 70/30 on road to off road driving. I've had all kinds of tires on my rigs over the years, from street tires to mud tires. I find that for my style of driving an aggressive all terrain tire works best (I can run them year round in the snow as well). My two favorites are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and the General Grabber AT2's. Both tires are amazing in all conditions and will last for an amazing amount of kms. I just picked up a set of the General's last month since they were a little more cost efficient. In the end though it comes down to what you need. :!:

Here's my new ones:

704Path

Postby 704Path » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:43 am

Looking to revive this a little bit, as my 2008 is due for tire replacement.

For me, I currently have General Grabber HTS. I'm mostly looking for road handling, longish tread life, low noise and affordable. These Generals have met all of those requirements. Unfortunately, the Generals are more difficult to find this time around. And when I have found them, they're pricier than they previously were.

I know Michelin are almost always recommended. But they don't fit the affordable category.

I saw a different thread on here where others have found the Nitto Crosstek to be a good replacement. NTB is still offering the Buy 2, Get 2 deal on them.

Any other suggestions?!?!
Last edited by 704Path on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

704Path

Postby 704Path » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 am

Odin wrote:As mentioned, it comes down to what kind of tire you'll need. Do you drive exclusively on pavement, mostly off road, or a mix? I find I do about 70/30 on road to off road driving. I've had all kinds of tires on my rigs over the years, from street tires to mud tires. I find that for my style of driving an aggressive all terrain tire works best (I can run them year round in the snow as well). My two favorites are the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, and the General Grabber AT2's. Both tires are amazing in all conditions and will last for an amazing amount of kms. I just picked up a set of the General's last month since they were a little more cost efficient. In the end though it comes down to what you need. :!:
How's the road noise on the Grabber ATs? Did you previously have a more street tire on to compare them against?

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:53 am

I've heard good things on the Grabbers. I was going to buy them, but my Coopers were on sale and about $200 cheaper overall.

One bad thing I heard about the generals was sidewall permeability. And they wore quick. However, if you buy the P version of the tire, it comes with a 50k mile treadwear warranty.

704Path

Postby 704Path » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:41 am

disallow wrote:I've heard good things on the Grabbers. I was going to buy them, but my Coopers were on sale and about $200 cheaper overall.

One bad thing I heard about the generals was sidewall permeability. And they wore quick. However, if you buy the P version of the tire, it comes with a 50k mile treadwear warranty.
Thanks for the feedback. Interesting to hear that they wear quick. I've had 3 sets on 2 different vehicles and never had a wear issue.

In terms of the Cooper, based on very little research, the Discover AT3 is much higher priced than the Grabber HTS. However, there is a Discover LSX comparably priced to the Grabber. So I am considering those.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”