Wagner OEx brake pads

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

Wagner OEx brake pads

Postby smj999smj » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:40 pm

The 2008 SE is hitting the warning squealers on the front brakes so it's time to put on its third set. Last time, I switched out the factory Hitachi pads for a set of Akebono PRO ACT Ceramics and a pair of Wagner brake rotors. The Akebonos served well; they were quiet and stopped at least as well as the factory installed pads. They lasted almost 90,000 miles, so, I can't say I didn't get my money out of them, either!
Wagner brakes recently introduced their OEx series of brake pads, so, I'm going to give them a try. The P/N for front brakes on a V6 R51 is Wagner OEX1094. The best price I found was $41.25 on Ebay, includes shipping and tax. They come with new hardware, including the "V" shaped springs that help push the pads away from the rotors when the brakes are released, which some kits don't have on other pads. They don't come with lube, but I have a jar of copper-slip which I use for lubing the abutment clips and contact areas on the backs of the pads. Wagner claims these ceramic pads to be low-dust, provide shorter stopping distances compared to others and provide longer life. They definitely have a "funky" looking pad lining design with the cooling channels to provide better cooling. Each pads comes with a metal backing shim plate, but, only one pad comes with a warning squealer attached.
Wagner claims that stopping distances "may" be reduced "up to" 50 feet. That would be nice, since I, like many others, aren't overly impressed by their factory brakes performance. We'll see how that works out!
The rear pads, also Akebonos and put in at the same time as the fronts, are about 30% worn, so they'll be staying in place for awhile. I'm looking forward to seeing how well this new Wagner pads perform!

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:16 pm

Im also going to need new front brakes soon. Let us know how they work and your brake tests.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:01 am

It might be a while before I get any long term feedback as I don't usually drive the 2008 very much or very often. But, I'll update with information as much as I can.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:36 am

I got the same pads. I put them on this past weekend. :D Ordered from RockAuto.com and opted for the 2-3 day FedEx ground for $0.50 more and it arrived the next day :shock: :lol: Got me some of the anti seize lubricant from Amazon.

Thanks for the recommendations 8)

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:32 pm

I drove the 2008 a bit a couple of weeks ago and was pretty happy with the brakes. They do seem to stop a little better than the Akebonos. I also put a set of OEx's on a 2009 Silverado 4x4 about a month ago and the owner has been happy with them, as well.
Next summer, I'm planning on doing a slight upgrade on my 06 using V8 front rotors and calipers and EBC yellow pads and "maybe" going to Technafit brake hoses. It all depends what the wallet looks like, but it shouldn't cost too much.

FLiPMaRC

Postby FLiPMaRC » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:45 pm

I had EBC greens on my Eclipse years ago. It started squealing after 10k and I don't drive hard. Hope you have better luck with the yellow.

:lol: :lol: :lol: "Fastest brake pads for Street, Drift & Race."

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”