No Spark from Distributor Help Wanted

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

[email protected]

No Spark from Distributor Help Wanted

Postby [email protected] » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Have an 2000 Pathfinder with 3.3L engine.
It cranks but no start because there is no spark coming out of the distributor. This design has an integrated coil and power transistor inside the distributor assembly. New part cost $220 +
How can I confirm that the distributor assembly at fault?
Also, when I crank it there is no RPM at the dash.
Is the crank and or the cam sensor signal required to get an output from the distributor to the spark plug?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

kentuckyboy94

Postby kentuckyboy94 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:35 pm

I had this problem and it was a broken timing belt.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:16 pm

The crank position sensor is at the top of the trans bellhousing but does not affect engine management; it is only a monitoring sensor for the ECM. The optical sensor inside the distributor is technically the cam position sensor. A broken timing belt is a possibility. Usually, they will strip at the crank sprocket. If this is the case, crank the engine with the distributor cap removed. If the rotor doesn't turn, then the belt has likely broken. Another test would be a compression test. More often than not, it is usually the distributor is bad. I hear about a number of them failing lately now that many of these VG engines are well over a decade old. There is a testing procedure in the factory service manual. Usually if I confirm power to the distributor using a 12v test light with the key "on" I'm sure the timing belt isn't broken, I'll just replace the distributor because 99.9% of the time, that's the problem. It's best to stick with genuine Nissan reman distributors when possible. They tend to be much more reliable and last a lot longer than the aftermarket options. Also, make sure the distributor cap and rotor are not the problem before biting the bullet on a new distributor.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”