The Nissan Path Forum Index The Nissan Path
The World Wide Nissan Pathfinder Owner's Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Use Google to search TheNissanPath forums ->
Red Angle AC Stop Leak and Conditioner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BullDozer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Red Angle AC Stop Leak and Conditioner Reply with quote

Let me preface this with:
I went a entire summer (2015) toughing it out with AC.. so without much alternative other than another hot summer... I decided to try a shortcut..

Warning:
Those with weak stomachs or those who can not even think of doing something half-way.. stop reading...

Okay you have been warned..

Last year I was told I have a leak in the rear ac lines and given few options:
1. Plug up rear ac lines but have front ac still work. Rear heat not affected
Cost would be close to $200.

2. Try to repair - possibly weld aluminum lines. Cost if repair works $300 if not work then complete replacement maybe around $1000.

I asked mechanic about ac sealers and they advised against it.

I did some research and found this product named red angel repair. Cost me around $27.99 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-ANGEL-A-C-Stop-Leak-Sealant-With-UV-Dye-R134a-4-5-oz-/201629974268?hash=item2ef2153efc:g:NpsAAOSwqfNXk3E9&vxp=mtr

Previously my ac would last about 24 to 48 hours before the Freon would leak out.

I put this red angel plus some 3 cans of Freon from Walmart (pure Freon no oils/additives)
Results:
AC run nice and cold for about 2 and half weeks. At that point AC seemed to be not as cold.

So I wanted to try one more thing. I got a bottle of AC Pro Synthetic (has some basic sealing qualities) cost me around $35 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-A-C-Pro-Professional-Formula-Refrigerant-ACP-100-Leak-Sealer-20oz-/251480156354?hash=item3a8d62a8c2:g:MzAAAMXQeKNTKZYQ&vxp=mtr

Result, very cold AC.
Now another 1 month has passed (total of 6 and half weeks) and so far, still very cold AC even during the recent hot and humid days in Michigan.

So in total I have spent around $75, but I may have fixed my AC.

Not sure I will check and try to remember to update this post next summer.

I know some people will say that repairing the AC is the right way and I would agree but for me, I could not afford it right now.

*Also not Red Angel claims that it does not gum up AC systems like other sealers.

So far I am very happy. * but please use at your own risk *
265/75 R16 Cooper AT3

Last edited by BullDozer on Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
smj999smj

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sections of the A/C line can be replace where needed if you have or can find a shop that has A/C line repair kit as such:

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-600-Conditioning-Line-Repair/dp/B001SGBXZQ

Dorman also has a repair kit known as "line splice" which can fix leaks using a crimp union:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=dorman+a%2Fc+line+splice
BullDozer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far still cold. I was really skeptical at first but have to say I am impressed.

Lets see if this will last till next summer.
265/75 R16 Cooper AT3
BullDozer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Leaking now. Pretty bad. I put some freon in and could hear it hissing out underneath the 2nd row passengers seat - under the heat shield. My mechanic suggested blocking the rear lines off since he said any repairs will only be temporary- as other leaks will occur through out the full length.

Any one blocked off the read AC lines? If so, what part or what size?
I found many block off kits for American SUV but none for Nissan.
265/75 R16 Cooper AT3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Nissan Path Forum Index -> R51 Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: