Advice on 2006 pathfinder

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

jonthemoon

Advice on 2006 pathfinder

Postby jonthemoon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:31 am

Hi!

I'm currently in the market for a good towing vehicule for our family of five and our new camping trailer. It's a 21 feet, 3100 pounds trailer double axle with anti-sway bars. So our plan is to do a big trip from near Montreal, Quebec down to the Keys past Miami in April / May. We know it's a hot place so main concerns are, after reliability of course, comfort and a good AC. We'll probably haul it a couple of times in the New Hampshire White Mountains this spring if we buy it soon enough.

So, I've got eyes on a Pathfinder 2006 with 150 000km, tranny 10 000km. I know about the transmission problem so will assuredly bypass the radiator and install an aftermarket radiator for it. Also, I need 7pin brake controller.

Do you think that this is the right vehicule to fit this bill ? And any particular recommandation on which year is best ? I've got eyes on a pretty cheap 2006 around here so that's why I mentionned it.

Thanks a lot in advance !
Jon

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:48 pm

The best Pathfinder years are the last years 2011-2012 since all the bugs were worked out (true with most cars and trucks at the end of there life cycle). On that note when buying used maintenance records are a must with high millage esp oil chance records. If I were to buy a high millage 2006 Pathy and you say the trans was replaced I would make sure the radiator was replaced as well. Other items to check esp going on a long trip are brakes, shocks, coolant, fan clutch operation, check or change all fluids esp brake and rear end gear fluid. Also tires if they are more then 5 years old replace them and for long towing I would not get an aggressive A/T tire. You will have a better ride lower noise and wear with a quality all season tire.

As far as towing I strongly recommend the following with a R51 Pathfinder.

Rear airbags
Weight distribution hitch
Don't tow in overdrive unless going down long downhill
Make sure your hitch camper has some sort of sway control

Hope this helps

Return to “R51 General Chat”