Picked up LE style 18" 6-spoke rims and A/T tires

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

ZPOC RDY

Picked up LE style 18" 6-spoke rims and A/T tires

Postby ZPOC RDY » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:02 am

When I first got my Pathy, I knew I would eventually get the offroad bug, but I hated the typical offroad rim styles, and didn't want to fit such rugged A/T tires that (being my daily) it would get (more) horrible fuel economy and be rough to drive long periods, but wanted the aggressive styling of A/T tires. Also, I couldn't see spending over $200/ tire when I'd be offroading mildly maybe once a month. So I decided to stick with my original plan (since I got the thing) to replace my OE 17" SE wheels with the OE 18" LE wheels. Planned on powdercoating them but found these sweet 'Dark Metallic Charcoal' ones that are said to be factory by several sources, however I couldn't find one source that stated these actually came this way on a vehicle. Maybe they just meant the design. Regardless, I saw them and had to have them. Found them on eBay for $99 a piece but outrageous shipping (wanted $186 for the 5), so sweet-talked them into shipping 5 for only $30 a piece, which seemed average.

While I waited for the wheels to arrive, I looked around at tire deals, and found that according to tirerack consumer ratings, the Kumho Road Venture AT51 came only 2nd to the hugely popular BFG KO2, but quite cheaper. I found a graphic on tirerack that measures old tire sizes vs new ones. Found that the new 18" OE size 265/60R18 is 0.1" smaller than the stock 17" 265/65R17 in total diameter. Couldn't have that, so I upped the width and aspect ratio to a still stock-suspension manageable 275/65R18.
Scooped up 5 of those and scored 4 free Legoland tickets. Since we were going this December anyways, I chocked that up to an easy $400 savings.

As soon as I got the wheels via FedEx, I took them in and had my local tire store switch out all 4 sensors and center caps on the 17" to the new 18" and mount the new A/T tires. New plain stems in the old 17" and 5th 18" that went to the top rack as a spare. Got a 4-wheel alignment before it left the shop and I left within the business day.

Got the wheels I wanted in the color I wanted, got the tires that look the way I wanted at the price I wanted and ended up getting a small raise of 0.75", which isn't noticeable driving, but is noticeable looking at the profile, or so I seem to think.

Just under $1700 for 5 wheels shipped, 5 A/T tires installed and alignment. No rubbing, very little tire noise on the freeway, and they have the aggressive look I was going for.

Graphic showing stock 17" tire to stock 18" tire

Graphic showing stock 17" tire to the 18" tire I got

Thupertrooper

Postby Thupertrooper » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Looks nice i always liked theose rims.

Guillaume59

Postby Guillaume59 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Very nice! 8)

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:44 pm

I like! .. We need a pic of the tread on them new sneakers!

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”