235/80/17 Anyone Try These

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

glenski_31

235/80/17 Anyone Try These

Postby glenski_31 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:49 am

Hi All,

I have been spending wayyyy too much time online looking at tires and suspension this week. It is time to ask a question now.

I have a new job where I work from home and I do most of my summer driving on a Motorcycle. I do have some highway driving to do in the summer, but I suspect most of my use will be for hunting and winter driving with my family.

That said - I loved my BFG KOs that I had on my Vitara, and was thinking to go with the same on the Pathy (I have been doing some reading about the DuraTracs though and may just go that route, due to my anticipated minimal driving). Since most of my driving will be in fall/winter, it is my experience that thinner tires are better for winter roads. I will be putting the Rancho 2" Quicklift up front and the spacers and 9000XLs in the rear so am not too worried about clearance.

235/80/17 are available in both tires and are thinner than stock and taller too 31.5" roughly. Has anyone out there made a conscious decision to run a tire this narrow for the reasons I suggest, if so what is your experience. I am running the stock 17" rims from a 2005 LE.

Thanks All,
Glen

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:46 pm

I have a set of 235/85r16 sitting in my garage to go on as soon as I have time.

Several guys in the Frontier/Xterra world run them. The ones I reached out to on different forums rave about the traction from the skinnier tire.

I am excited to get them on and see how they perform.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

docwatson wrote:I have a set of 235/85r16 sitting in my garage to go on as soon as I have time.

Several guys in the Frontier/Xterra world run them. The ones I reached out to on different forums rave about the traction from the skinnier tire.

I am excited to get them on and see how they perform.
Thanks Doc - the issue I am seeing is that it is hard to get "33s" that are narrow that fit a 17" rim without spending a fortune. the 235/60/17s that I want are $300/tire instead of $160.

I have only had the pathy for one winter but I always felt that it pushed the snow instead of cut through and I was hoping to change that and still get the added ground clearance.

Oh well, maybe I can't have it all. The kids need diapers after all

Malt

Postby Malt » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Anymore have experience with this size yet? I'm coming up on needing a new set but I don't think I'm brave enough to be the first...

docwatson

Postby docwatson » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:51 am

So I've put my 235/85s on. Its only been about two weeks but I really like them so far.

The track differently on the road but they were great on the one occasion I've had them off road. My MPGs are about the same and it corrected my speedometer going from the 30" tires to the 32" tires.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:03 am

docwatson wrote:So I've put my 235/85s on. Its only been about two weeks but I really like them so far.

The track differently on the road but they were great on the one occasion I've had them off road. My MPGs are about the same and it corrected my speedometer going from the 30" tires to the 32" tires.
I just installed 245/75R17 Duratracs yesterday. So can't really comment much. I actually like the skinny tire look on Off Road vehicles. Looks way more practical and functionall to me and I think I understand the science behind skinny is better. Noticeably thinner than the 265s that were on it. Decided to go with 245 over 235 simply because local shop had 245s and it was more convenient. I would easily do 235 width.

I will post some pics when I get a chance and hopefully have a better 'review of the tires once the snow flies in another month or two. I haven't checked mpg yet cause just installed and waiting on alignment after 2" quicklift.

On observation is there is a very very subtle rub on the front mudflap tab that sticks out at full steer in parking lot. I think the tires themselves will take care of it very shortly and I won't even need to trim. But I was a little surprised to hear the rubbing.

Hope this helps some. Remind me to post some pics. I will probably do it in the ultimate lift thread.....

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”