trailing arm bushings

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

pathfinder rip

trailing arm bushings

Postby pathfinder rip » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:46 pm

i own a 2001 pathfinder,with 200,000 couple months ago stared getting the rear end swaying side to side. found out that this is common with pathfinders. so I replaced the lower bushings first and that seemed to do the trick, but a few months later it started again, so 2 weeks ago I replaced the upper bushings, it is still doing the swaying thing, didn't really seem to help . I went with the original factory bushings , . has anyone else had this problem with the new bushings ? I heard that the poly bushings are much better. any advice or help will be appreciated, before I replace them all again . thx

Wes

Postby Wes » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I had this same problem....Truck rocks side to side at highway speeds. I replace the trailing arms in the back. Bought new arms that included the bushings at the recommendation of our local (this forum) expert. If smj999smj says its true I take that as the gospel. Search for posts from me and you will find info on it. After replacing the arms it works like a charm. I bought mine at RockAuto and the bolts from somewhere else.

pathfinder rip

2001 rear trailing arm bushings

Postby pathfinder rip » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:38 pm

thanks for getting back to me on this issue that seems like it is on going. I know that a car with 200,000 is going to give you a few problems, but I really like this car and plan on driving it until ??? I did order new trailing arms from another popular parts place with the bushing pre installed, as I was removing the old lower arms I found that I could see right through the rubber , they had really failed big time , even though they are under 1 year old, all of my driving is highway, so I know that they were not abused in any way, so I don't believe these were good quality rubber, if these don't last long I will put in the poly bushing and hope that will fix it

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Make sure you put the vehicle on its wheels and load the suspension before you tighten the suspension link bolts. Poly bushings are much more durable than rubber bushing, but also tend to ride harsher. I've never been a fan of replacing the bushings, only, rather replacing the entire link. One nice thing about the Dorman links is that they are lifetime warranted. You'll also want to be sure your shocks and struts are not causing the issue and the wheel alignment is in spec.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”