Slip Light On Under 'Hard' Cornering

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

glenski_31

Slip Light On Under 'Hard' Cornering

Postby glenski_31 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:55 am

Hi All,

I have had this happen a half dozen times now where taking a ramp on/off the highway and accelerating (ie. no foot on brakes) and the slip light will come on and I can hear the ABS engaging.

The first two times I had a 500# motorcycle hooked up to the hitch with stock springs and worn out suspenders. I attributed it to the front end being light. I have since installed a Rancho Quicklift all around and leveled the Pathy with Airlift 1000 airbags. So suspension shouldn't be the issue. Pathy is sitting level.

After all this the slip came on on a ramp on wet pavement and I know my tires are due, so I assume I may actually have been on the edge of traction? I have new Duratracs waiting to be put on before winter.

Today however on a highway ramp while accelerating and turning on dry pave with the suspension all leveled out and no cargo other than 2 kids and a diaper bag, the slip light comes on again and I can hear the ABS chattering. Is this the VDC doing its job and preventing me from 'Rolling over' or is there a sticky caliper or bent rotor or something like that up front. I don't want to go looking for problems if this is just the VDC providing stability control then I will carry on.

It has only happened 1/2 a dozen times in the last 3 months and I can't easily duplicate it but it seems like it might be the VDC doing its job. I would turn the VDC off and attempt to trigger the same situation, however it is not entirely predictable.

Thanks for your help

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Sounds like traction control. You should probably slow down!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:17 pm

It sounds like your traction control kicking in. I run two sets of tires my stock General Grabber AW tires for summer and an aggressive A/T tire for winter. I really like how quiet the factory supplied Generals are but that's about it. In the rain a small amount of my right foot and I can get the trac control to kick in. I can also get it to kick in going around a corner in the dry easy. With my much better Cooper A/T tires the traction is much better.

Try your new tires first then report back.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:22 am

Thanks to you both for the replies. Sorry I didn't see them until now.

I did some more looking at the tires and I certainly have some uneven wear from the previous alignment (siping is worn out in some areas and others have lots of siping left) by the PO and now with the lift kit who knows where things are at with the alignment. I had some pretty intense ABS kick in the other morning on a ramp in the wet. I don't drive it any harder than any other vehicles I have owned, but it is good to know the VDC is effective and I am not the only one who drives a little spirited.

New tires going on 1 week from today and alignment to follow 3 days after. Not doing much driving between then an now. Looking forward to an aligned Pathy with new tires :).

I LOVE the Pathfinder. It certainly isn't 'needed' right now. A Pontiac Sunfire would meet my needs but where is the fun in that.

Thanks guys for replying so quick and making the forum effective.

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:48 pm

Let us know how you make out with the new tires and alignment. Today we had some big rain in Western MA and with my stock summer tires that are more than say 60% worn I could get my anti slip to kick in quite easy. I really don't like that it gives me an uneasy feeling I may decide to not put these tires on next summer. My Cooper A/T tires grip the road much better wet or dry.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:54 am

Kestral wrote:Let us know how you make out with the new tires and alignment. Today we had some big rain in Western MA and with my stock summer tires that are more than say 60% worn I could get my anti slip to kick in quite easy. I really don't like that it gives me an uneasy feeling I may decide to not put these tires on next summer. My Cooper A/T tires grip the road much better wet or dry.
Update: I can safely say it wasn't the tires. The VDC kicked in more intensely than before on the same ramp/corner this afternoon after getting the new 245/75R17 Duratracs installed. These are tall and skinny tires. But at this point I am really really hoping the alignment with being everything back in. I am very curious how out the alignment is. I will know in 3 days from now.

I know I could slow down but in the 7 years I have lived and commuted through this corner with all the vehicles I have driveno (rentals of all sizes and shapes) SUVso, motorcycles, minivans etc. Nothing has behaved like this. It is a posted 60 corner and on a warm day at 70-75 kph the VDC is going nuts. The Town and Country doesn't even blink or shudder at speeds of 85-90 through this corner.

I will do my best to keep those interested posted on the alignment results. Overall though I love the look of the Duratracs and cant wait to explore some hunting spots woth them. A little highway noise but I am used to running 50/50 tires on my KLR650 so no biggie for me. I was surprised to noticed they actually rubbed a bit and they are technically a 31.7" tire. Just catches the inside lip of the front fender. An easy trim job.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:55 pm

Update: Installed new Toe camber bolts and spring carrier LCAs on rear.

VDC was going nuts and even the light stuck on in the dash on the way to alignment. Terrible MPG and swaying on the highway.

Post alignment. VDC and slip light went out after driving all the way home on the highway. Drove 'hard' like normal and no more VDC/ABS sound in corners. It was all alignment.

No digital printout of alignment but am quite confident he got it right.

L/100km went from 14.9 to 12.9 immediately after alignment and VDC is working again.

glenski_31 wrote:
Kestral wrote:Let us know how you make out with the new tires and alignment. Today we had some big rain in Western MA and with my stock summer tires that are more than say 60% worn I could get my anti slip to kick in quite easy. I really don't like that it gives me an uneasy feeling I may decide to not put these tires on next summer. My Cooper A/T tires grip the road much better wet or dry.
Update: I can safely say it wasn't the tires. The VDC kicked in more intensely than before on the same ramp/corner this afternoon after getting the new 245/75R17 Duratracs installed. These are tall and skinny tires. But at this point I am really really hoping the alignment with being everything back in. I am very curious how out the alignment is. I will know in 3 days from now.

I know I could slow down but in the 7 years I have lived and commuted through this corner with all the vehicles I have driveno (rentals of all sizes and shapes) SUVso, motorcycles, minivans etc. Nothing has behaved like this. It is a posted 60 corner and on a warm day at 70-75 kph the VDC is going nuts. The Town and Country doesn't even blink or shudder at speeds of 85-90 through this corner.

I will do my best to keep those interested posted on the alignment results. Overall though I love the look of the Duratracs and cant wait to explore some hunting spots woth them. A little highway noise but I am used to running 50/50 tires on my KLR650 so no biggie for me. I was surprised to noticed they actually rubbed a bit and they are technically a 31.7" tire. Just catches the inside lip of the front fender. An easy trim job.

glenski_31

Postby glenski_31 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:17 pm

One last observation. Stiffened up the front Ranchos to '7' and now it rails around corners with no body roll or VDC issues.

And it can do this now:

https://youtu.be/EN_pl1kYiCk

glenski_31 wrote:Update: Installed new Toe camber bolts and spring carrier LCAs on rear.

VDC was going nuts and even the light stuck on in the dash on the way to alignment. Terrible MPG and swaying on the highway.

Post alignment. VDC and slip light went out after driving all the way home on the highway. Drove 'hard' like normal and no more VDC/ABS sound in corners. It was all alignment.

No digital printout of alignment but am quite confident he got it right.

L/100km went from 14.9 to 12.9 immediately after alignment and VDC is working again.

glenski_31 wrote:

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”