Pathfinder intelligent key issue

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

paul0000

Pathfinder intelligent key issue

Postby paul0000 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Hi all,

Have been experiencing some really strange issues with our 2006 pathfinder and the intelligent fobs.

It's a UK car and until recently the car could be locked/unlocked by pressing one of the buttons outside the door as long as the key was close by.

The car could also be started by turning the brown barrel without having to insert the key.

Recently, the car does not unlock with the buttons on the door, I have to press the unlock button on the fob. Once in the car the fob refuses to be recognised and the car cannot be started - a red key icon appears toward the top right of the dashboard - I'm pretty sure this means it cannot see the fob in the car and the key needs to be used.

Have tried both fobs, changed batteries on both, and both behave the same way so I'm thinking it must be something in the car causing the problem.

Whilst trying to figure what was wrong today I noticed that when the key is slid into the ignition barrel and the brown part pushes in slowly the red key icon turns green - I can then pull the key away and start the car.

I'm guessing the problem has something to do with the ignition barrel and maybe intelligent key sensor ...

Any ideas?' - thanks.

paul0000

Postby paul0000 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:29 pm

Greatful for any help on this, I'm completely out of ideas!

offroad_path

Postby offroad_path » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:11 pm

Usually there are four different systems in regards to this.
1. The normal remote unlock via radio frequency. What happens when you press the button on the remote. works at a longer distance.
2. The inteli key which lets you unlock by pushing the button on the door. only works much closer to the car (for obvious reasons)
3. What sensors the key is inside the car or outside the car. Also works off the same technology as item 2.
4. Sensor in the barrel that detects the key. Same as the immobilizer technology that has been in cars for decades. Works only with the key in the barrel.

Considering 2 and 3 are what isn't working for you, I would start at the module that handles the inteli key. I am not sure what the technology used is on the Pathfinder, but there will be a module which remembers which keys are programmed to it and also reads the radio signals. I would start there.

This gives you a basic run down of the key fob operation in general https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_key

paul0000

Postby paul0000 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Thanks for that, I've been trying to figure this on and off for some time and still can't figure what the problem is.

Sooooo, I'm bumping the thread in case anyone else has had the same issue and found the cause?

I have been reading about the BCM module but it seems unlikely this is the issue.

I've tried a reset of the ECU, leaving the car battery fully unplugged for a few hours etc

Unrelated I'm sure but the cruise control is also not working ...

stev26gray

Postby stev26gray » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:13 pm

If you are still looking for a solution (I know it's an old thread) I found putting the key in the centre console rear cup holder gives it enough signal to get green light. But I have other issues relating to my ignition so this may be unique to my jeep due to the other issues.

Tellboy

Keyless fob programing for 2006 uk model R51 2 button fob

Postby Tellboy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:26 am

Did you have any luck trying to reprogram keyfob?

Return to “R51 Electrical”