Noise whilst turning left or right

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

arnie2475

Postby arnie2475 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:36 am

Hi, every one, I have owne d a pathfinder for nearly 2 years and I really
love it but just recently I have started to hear 2 different noises whilst turning left or right.
The first sounds like it comes from the front tyres "not a metal sound but the only way to explain it is like having a piece of rubber glued across the tyres in sync with each other and gets quicker or slower depending on speed" there is no pumping just this noise, and this only starts every time when turning left or right only and not noticable at very low speed.

The second is a plain clunking sound when i turn left or right whilst in 4WD
in 2WD there is no clunking

any ideas

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:17 am

There have been some "clunking" issues caused by the front sway bar pushing through the slit of the mount bushings, allowing the bar to contact the crossmember. Nissan updated the bushings, relocating the slit to a place where the bar can't push through to the crossmember and released a TSB on the issue. The updated bushings from Nissan are inexpensive and not too hard to swap out.

arnie2475

Postby arnie2475 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi thanks for answer, my partners uncle looked earlier and could not find
anything rubbing, but the noise is not grinding or metal knocking its a rubbing
sound whilst turning left or right even slightly and the sound can speed up and down according to the cars speed

"I have had front inner and outer drive shafts replaced and the 4WD all works fine now with no noise clunking"

we all lost as to what it is ??

Return to “R51 General Chat”