New rear suspension (Moog springs / Bilstein 4600)

Topics relating to Lift Kits, Suspension, Steering...

Moderator: volvite

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:56 pm

I've had mine on a while now and have probably put, something of a rough guess, around 2000+ miles on them. The rear is still higher than the front so there was minimal settling.

Speaking of which, yes the springs are pretty cheap. When I bought them I had to keep reading the description that it was for a pair and not a single spring. I would assume probably because they're marketed as 'factory' replacements and not 'performance' springs like Tien or Eibach are.

jz39

Postby jz39 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:58 am

underworld1001 wrote:I've had mine on a while now and have probably put, something of a rough guess, around 2000+ miles on them. The rear is still higher than the front so there was minimal settling.

Speaking of which, yes the springs are pretty cheap. When I bought them I had to keep reading the description that it was for a pair and not a single spring. I would assume probably because they're marketed as 'factory' replacements and not 'performance' springs like Tien or Eibach are.
Did you do both fronts and rears or just the rears?

jz39

Postby jz39 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:42 am

Well, I posted a whole write up around the challenges of this install, but, for some reason the post didn't upload....

Long story short, it's a pain because lots of things are seized up, even though this is a well maintained mom-mobile that always gets undercarriage washes.

So, till I get a chance to write in more detail, I'll leave you with a few pics of the carnage still underway. Note: this is being done at the dealership by their lead technician with all proper tools and knowledge, thus, it seems this install is not to be taken lightly. I don't understand why the Pathfinders don't have better corrosion resistance--my last 07 had the alignment bolts all seized up.

Edit: till I figure out how to post pics on this site, no pics of cut metal and mangled shocks during removal..

icp1327

Postby icp1327 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Reviving a dead thread here....

Did you have to use a spring compressor on the back?

00pathySE

Postby 00pathySE » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:46 pm

Don't need compressors if you can get the bolts out. I still prefer the airlift combo as you have a soft ride when you want and can firm it whenever you want.

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Glad I found this thread. I'm having similar squatting issues with mine, to the point where I've worn the rear inner tires bald about a quarter of the width in. They need replacing overall anyway, but there's a very significant difference, and I don't want to ruin my brand new Duratracs.

element808

Postby element808 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:09 am

Thupertrooper wrote:Looks good i no longer need my airlifts after going to Armada HD springs from duralast. Stiffest spring i could find and it work good.
Doesn't the Armada springs and Pathfinder springs seat differently?

SuperTom

Postby SuperTom » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:07 am

I just went with the same setup as the OP in the rear moog 81119 and Bilsteins. Hoping for at least 1" of lift but not more than 2" was my goal due to the alighment issues. And all my control arms/ camber bolts look very rusted so I may be replacing them anyway.

I also went with just the front setup from this combo on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Struts- ... way&sr=8-4

You can buy just the fronts on ebay for 118 shipped. Has great reviews and gives 1 - 2" of lift according to reviews. If I can similar lift to the rancho quick lifts for half the price I will be very javascript:emoticon(':D')

Looks like pricing from rockauto all the stock upper and lower controls will peg me at around $600 + $100 for new camber bolts

OMRebels

Re:

Postby OMRebels » Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:05 pm

palmerwmd wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:08 am
You know that you so much for doing this and documenting this.

Now I will have the confidence to execute a srping swap as I want my vehicle to be able to carry a significant load in an emergency and not disply it via excessive squat (I am a prepper) but still drive and look normally when loaded only with myself.

I also just got my R51 used a mere 3 weeks ago... it does handle and drive great to me w/ no bottoming out of any kind.. rear feels pretty solid to me..

But that may be because a) previous owner did something new for it stock or otherwise... and I will investigate this or b) coming from an XTerra which is even softer since its more off road optimized maybe it just feels ok to me.

However i will be careful. I remember spending a lot of money on my XTerra rear and getting socked with a huge labor charge in addition to new springs and in the end the vehicle riding same..

I recently (and finally!) discovered a shop here in northern virginia that is both competent and reasonably priced and I will use them over the dealer
Do you happen to recall that shop in Northern VA? I have the rear Moog springs and want to put the 4600's on. TIA

Return to “R51 Suspension and Steering”