New member, older pathfinder, new problems (tire sizes)

Post a pic of your ride, tell us where you're from, what vehicle your Path replaced, etc etc.

Moderator: volvite

Outrail

New member, older pathfinder, new problems (tire sizes)

Postby Outrail » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Hey Guys,

Just bought a 1999 Pathfinder after scrapping a 95 Astrovan that succeeded in it's quest to kill itself, eat a truly unfair amount of time, effort and money but ultimately failed to kill it's long suffering owner. Never again.

Skip to the bottom if you don't want to read a wall of text.

So my expectations of a better running vehicle were cut short when it became apparent that the CV joints, ball joints, clutch and front wheel bearings were not 'maybe needing replacement in six months or so' and more 'holy damn this thing is also going to kill me'. Luckily I'm on top of that and I got a good enough price I'm not going to hunt the guy down.

The issue is that it's on 16 inch rims, and the M&S tires on front were pretty bald which isn't great for winters up here in Canuckistan. So I put on some decent, slightly larger second hand tires on the front but (like an idiot) forgot that while different tire sizes isn't the end of the world it is when you engage 4WD (and these weren't great for snow to begin with)

So I need winter tires. I'm also poor and can't afford new rims and tires so need second hand, and since I'm in the middle of nowhere finding 16 inch 6 bolt pattern tires and rims is a nightmare. So two questions really.

1) Wheelsize.com (http://www.wheel-size.com/size/nissan/pathfinder/1999/) indicates that as a 170hp my PF takes 16 inch tires (245/70R16 or 255/65R16). Can I drop down to 15 inch tires? Reading online I think I can but don't want to shoot myself in the foot. If that's possible finding tires just got so much easier.

2) Assuming yes to the above, will 265/70/R15 Geolanders on rims from a 2002 Nissan frontier fit on my PF? I'm thinking 'probably' but again, don't want to screw myself out of a a bunch of money and a three hour round trip.

Thanks for the attention, I'll throw this question into the appropriate forum section as well, not sure how often people read this one.

Outrail

Postby Outrail » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:45 am

Okay, looks like I can get a hold of some 235/70/16 firestone winterforces in pretty good condition. I don't know the rim width on what I'm currently running but since they're 245/70/16's, I assume they should be good given it's a small difference between widths. Can anyone confirm?

Romper2001

Tires

Postby Romper2001 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:07 am

1010tires.com are Canadian and ship anywhere in our great Land, I was able to get Cooper Discoverers atII in the factory size I've dealt with them for 10years never had a problem getting delivered

Outrail

Postby Outrail » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:34 am

I bit the bullet and ordered from Quattro tires. Ended up relatively cheap ($500 all in delivered for some bottom of the range winters). Decent customer service, called the day after I ordered because they ran out of stock and gave me slightly more expensive set at th same price). Would have liked the ones I ordered but probably can't complain. Let's see if they actually deliver though.

Return to “New Members, Sound Off!”