Brake Squeal

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Madcow

Brake Squeal

Postby Madcow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:51 am

I had Midas put all new brakes on my 2009 Pathy and also paid for them to clean the calipers.

They have been squealing ever since they were put on a couple years ago.

they told me my calipers were shot and they can replace them for $500 + dollars.

I have had others look at the calipers and they say they are find and the pads are still in great condition.

any ideas?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:33 pm

If the calipers were bad, you would likely see a lot of glazing or even heat discoloration on the rotors. Brake squeak is often caused by lack of lubrication on the hardware or low quality pad composition; my guess would be the latter.

Madcow

Postby Madcow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:14 pm

smj999smj wrote:If the calipers were bad, you would likely see a lot of glazing or even heat discoloration on the rotors. Brake squeak is often caused by lack of lubrication on the hardware or low quality pad composition; my guess would be the latter.
I am guessing the same. I had no issues until the second they did the work.

You know to much about this stuff, are you a mechanic...

Madcow

Postby Madcow » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:23 pm

The pads and rotors were replaced by Midas.

I wonder if others have had issues with Midas..

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:04 am

Madcow wrote:
smj999smj wrote:If the calipers were bad, you would likely see a lot of glazing or even heat discoloration on the rotors. Brake squeak is often caused by lack of lubrication on the hardware or low quality pad composition; my guess would be the latter.
I am guessing the same. I had no issues until the second they did the work.

You know to much about this stuff, are you a mechanic...
Former Nissan Master Tech/Nissan Tech for 16 years...Independent mechanical inspector for warranty claims for 1 year...about another 10 years working for independent auto repair shops and non-Nissan dealers.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”