2008 Pathfinder heater issue

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

jschettini

2008 Pathfinder heater issue

Postby jschettini » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:31 am

Im having an issue with the climate control in a 2008 Pathfinder V6 4x4. This vehicle has dual zone climate controls, and it has started blowing cool air until I turn the temps up to about 86 and above. Anything below that blows pretty cold. The rear zones are also pretty cold until they are turned all the way to hot as well. I had the heater core replaced a couple years ago, so I dont think that is the issue (at least i hope). I did open the reserve tank yesterday to add a bit of 50/50 mixed coolant and I am wondering if i just need to bleed the system a bit. Anyone else have this problem?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:25 am

A lot of people, unfortunately. The first thing to do is make sure there are no coolant leaks and top off the system. After that, most seemed to be fixed by purging the air out of the system, but, occasionally, the heater pump fails, which pushes the coolant through the heater core. It's attached to a bracket off of the firewall on the driver's side of the engine. It'll have two wires going to it and has two heater hoses attached to it.
To purge the system, set the front and rear heaters on the maximum hot settings. Jack the front end of the vehicle up as much as safely possible; if you can't do that, find a steep upgrade and park so the nose of the vehicle is facing upward. Start the engine and run at 2500-3500 RPM for about 15 minutes, or longer, as necessary, until hot air is coming out of the vents. This should purge most of the air out of the system. Shut the engine off and lower vehicle. Check the level in the reservoir bottle, but do NOT open while the engine is hot. When the engine has cooled down, remove the reservoir cap and top off, if necessary.

Return to “R51 Electrical”