Pathfinder 2008 spring clock and steering wheel colum harnes

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

mixnight

Pathfinder 2008 spring clock and steering wheel colum harnes

Postby mixnight » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 am

New ouwner here, I bought a pathfinder 2008 from Toyota automation dealer, I discovered on second day of purchase that all radio/cruise controls and horn and maybe the airbag are not working, talked to the dealer and they ordered the spring clock from a Nissan dealer, when the part came the Toyota dealer proceeded to replace the part and they told me that a connector on the old part was cut and loose and they send me to the Nissan dealer for a diagnostic and the Nissan dealer found that the harness into the steering wheel was tampered and soldered to make the airbag light don't come on, so all the steering wheel radio/cruise/horn/airbag are not working, looks like the previous owner did something dirty before traded in or the dealer before sold it, any way, now the extended warranty company is sending an inspector to the Nissan dealer to check the car to determine if they are able to cover the expenses which is going to be around $3.000 and probably they won't.
Just thinking ahead and in the case they won't cover the expenses to replace the harness and springclock (labor and parts), what's the steering column electrical harness part number and cost.

Thank you for your answers.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:29 am

You can look up the price & part number at your local dealership or on a Nissan Dealers website.
You can get a labor quote from the dealership or anywhere else (a competent independent shop).
If the part was modified or tampered with, warranty will probably not touch it.
OTOH, if a dealer sold you a truck with a modification preventing the proper functioning of an air bag system, you might have recourse on that point.
What, specifically, was the quote of 3,000K for?

mixnight

Postby mixnight » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:50 am

I'm waiting for the warranty company to go to the Nissan dealer today and see what he says.
Nissan dealer told me yesterday that it's a $3000 job, not sure yet for what

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:13 pm

I would think the steering column harness would be integral to the main harness, which is a pretty labor-intensive part to replace, in addition to costly. If the aftermarket warranty doesn't cover it---and I wouldn't expect it to because they would consider it as "pre-existing" to the purchase---your best re-course is to see if the selling dealer will cover it, as they are the one that sold the vehicle with a defect to the safety system. As mentioned already, you may want to see a lawyer if the selling dealer won't take care of it.

mixnight

Postby mixnight » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:47 am

Good news: warranty company accepted to pay for the all parts and labor to the Nissan dealer to fix/replace streering wheel column harness and springclock, hopefully that takes care of the problem

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:29 am

..........that's very good news!

Return to “R51 Electrical”