Bad Oil leak 01 Pathfinder SE

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Mjp321

Bad Oil leak 01 Pathfinder SE

Postby Mjp321 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello- I have an 01 pathfinder that has a serious oil leak. I check it often and the level doesn't seem to go down dramatically but I don't know how because the bottom of the car is Covered with oil..

I'm sure the valve cover needs changed but I don't think this is everything. Unless it is dropping from both sides of the cover and spraying all over from a fan and the wind.

Im sorry for dumb questions or my terminology I'm not so car savvy that's why I'm here. I put some pics up in the link below . I cleaned around the places I thought were leaking and there is definitely fresh oil leaking from it. I really don't think it's all from the valve cover gasket bit maybe I'm wrong? I want to fix whatever I can myself but valve cover is out of my league on this car and I'm not rich to say the least.

Should I spray a can or three of brake cleaner (or?) to really pinpoint the spot(s) or use 3000 paper towels in impossible to reach places.

(One bad leaky looking bolt/area closest to windshield on valve cover is hard to see, reach and Clean so I couldn't even take a pic)

Any help is really appreciated
-----

Numbers in pics
1 crank shaft mount bolt (lol that can't be correct)
2 a/c compressor bolt (ac no belt and unused broken)
3 axel carrier (I think) has a small hole that drips oil slowly

Can happily share more pics or info. Thanks again

http://m.imgur.com/tB3NOBQ,mhySHTl,uObZ ... Ap,JXIqdRL

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:02 am

Looks like a leaking front crank seal going by the pictures. Also check for a leak behind the oil cooler as that's a pretty common area for leaks.

Mjp321

Postby Mjp321 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:54 pm

I'll check into it thanks for the advice!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”