HID conversion kit and sending lamps out for conversion???

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

rangeoflight32

HID conversion kit and sending lamps out for conversion???

Postby rangeoflight32 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:34 pm

I have a 2012 Pathy and trying to upgrade the headlights. I have read about 15 threads, going back about 2 years on this topic, but still don't understand exactly what is needed.

Someone wrote this:

"HID....but they don't work well in the stock lamps. Unless you want to go with the expensive 'send your lamps out for conversion' method, the most practical method is to get a set of projector lamps and replace the low beam, H1 bulb with an HID bulb conversion kit.'

Why would you need to "send your lamps out"? Why couldn't you find a shop to just convert whatever was needed? And is it better to buy new headlamps or just convert the existing one?

I'm just confused, but I have tried to figure this out without a new topic. My apologies there, but any info/advice would be greatly appreciated.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 pm

As far as using new lamps versus old lamps, a lot of that depends on if you have time to wait for the lamps to be converted and sent back to you, as well as the condition of the lenses of you original lamps. If someone has older lamps and the plastic lenses are beginning to get cloudy or have a lot of scratches on them, well, it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money on them to get them retrofitted. The only problem with new lamps is that the cheaper ones sometimes have issues with not having good sealing to keep moisture out. It is usually recommended to apply a layer of clear, RTV silicone around the seam where the lens and lamp body meet prior to installation of the new lamps.

When it comes to the conversions, the big issue is the reflective lens inside the lamp, which is fine for the original type bulb, but is not ideal for the lighting emitted by the HID bulbs. The conversion fits new reflective lens (or "mirrors") inside the lamps which must be properly installed so that they direct the light properly and they don't end up blinding on-coming traffic. Places that do HID conversions have the equipment and experienced personal to do these type of conversions, where an auto repair shop doesn't.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 pm

Ok thank you for some clarification there and makes a bit more sense. The lamps on my 2012 Pathy seem to be in good shape. The previous owner really took care of it.

I guess it wouldn't be a huge deal to send the lamps away to get retrofitted if it didn't take that long...could just drive during the day or use a different vehicle here at night. Do you know any companies that currently offer this service?

I just don't get how it would be more expensive to retrofit older lamps, rather than buying brand new ones. It seems like the new ones would be more expensive, but perhaps not. I am not very handy, but I could probably apply some sealant if necessary...or just pay a local shop to do it, although would not be much to do.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 pm

I haven't had it done, personally, but, I know a lot have recommended:

www.theretrofitsource.com

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:15 pm

smj999smj wrote:I haven't had it done, personally, but, I know a lot have recommended:

It seems like that place sells the kits, but doesn't actually do the installation. Maybe I can find a local shop in the ATL area that could handle lit.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:36 pm

smj999smj wrote:I haven't had it done, personally, but, I know a lot have recommended:

It seems like that place sells the kits, but doesn't actually do the installation. People are talking about sending their headlamp assemblies out to get retrofitted, so trying to figure where they send to.
Last edited by rangeoflight32 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:08 am, edited 3 times in total.

rangeoflight32

Postby rangeoflight32 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:07 am

Ok answering my own question, I found a shop that said they could do it:

http://www.lightwerkz.net/

"You would be able to send in any set you would like whether new or the existing ones.

The labor on your lights is $680.

The D2S projector parts package starts at $320.

The total estimate is $1,000 plus return shipping.

Our average turnaround time is one week. Please let me know if you would like to discuss the details further!
"

So $1000 may be more than I want to spend at the moment, although I just can't stand the current headlight power, so I could see it being worth it if I have this vehicle for many years, which I hope to.

I ordered a pair of Sylvania Silverstar ZXE 9007 bulbs and going to try those first to see if any improvement over what is currently in there. Maybe I can live with that, but probably only temporarily.

And could put something like this in:

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/all-p ... restrict=1

It says these can be used in reflectors. Cost with the compatible harness would be about $85, it looks like.

Sarge_

Postby Sarge_ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:56 pm

Have you looked at importing the bixenon HID's they offered in the rest of the world, starting in 2011?

kennynnek

Postby kennynnek » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:48 pm

serge, do u have a link for those ive been searching for a whiiiile

radeonDEUS

Postby radeonDEUS » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:36 pm

+1 - converting sounds like too much work...

Return to “R51 Electrical”