2010 Pathfinder Tailgate Rattle

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

IronDan

2010 Pathfinder Tailgate Rattle

Postby IronDan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Hello everyone,

My 2010 Pathfinder has developed a rattle in the tailgate. I have already found that the gate itself is tightly secured forward and back when it is closed. I sat back there while my wife drove and I could see the entire gate moving side to side (very minor movement). The rattle is coming from the latch. The hinges are tight and I can't move the gate by hand. The latch looks alright and I tried adjusting the catch but the screws seemed to have impressions they want to sit in so any adjustment was just forced back to the initial position after tightening the screws. I used a screwdriver as the "catch bar" so I could see the latch mechanism and everything looks tight.

I'm hoping someone might have some insight on this other than just replacing the latch. I found a couple old threads with a similar issue but there was no resolution posted.

Thanks,

Dan

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:34 pm

I've been noticing a lot of noise from my hatch as well. I think my latch is starting to fail. This is probably because my rear suspension is so worn out that I'm basically sitting on my bump stops. I have springs and shocks coming so hopefully the bottoming out will stop soon. When I close the jaws on my latch all the way with a screwdriver I can feel play in the jaws. Are your rubber bumpers on the gate still there?

IronDan

Postby IronDan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Yes the bumpers are still there and still looking fine. For now I wrapped the catch bar with electrical tape and that stopped the rattle. I was hoping for a longer term solution but for the sake of my sanity I had to do it.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:09 pm

I had the same thing and replacing all four rubber bumpers fixed the problem on my '08. Comparing the new and old bumpers, there was only about a 1/4" difference. Takes about 10 minutes to change all four.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 am

Do you recall where you got them? Nissan dealership is my best guess but there isn't one too close to me. I'll do some searching online.

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:32 pm

DanJetta wrote:I had the same thing and replacing all four rubber bumpers fixed the problem on my '08. Comparing the new and old bumpers, there was only about a 1/4" difference. Takes about 10 minutes to change all four.
I only have 2 on my 2006. Are you saying you did the window bumpers too?

At this link I am seeing 4 different bumpers. Part number 90815, 90815+A, 90815+B, and 90815+C. Anybody know what the differences are? The prices vary from $1.51 to $10.36, so there must be something different.

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:26 pm

EvilTheCat wrote:
DanJetta wrote:I had the same thing and replacing all four rubber bumpers fixed the problem on my '08. Comparing the new and old bumpers, there was only about a 1/4" difference. Takes about 10 minutes to change all four.
I only have 2 on my 2006. Are you saying you did the window bumpers too?

At this link I am seeing 4 different bumpers. Part number 90815, 90815+A, 90815+B, and 90815+C. Anybody know what the differences are? The prices vary from $1.51 to $10.36, so there must be something different.
Your '06 has a different hatch than my '08 so it's possible that you only have two bumpers. However, the fact that there are two different similar bumper types (priced differently) tells me you should have four back there. Could you be missing a set? I could be wrong.

I usually order my parts online from Courtesy Nissan. They're a Nissan dealership so you can call them with your VIN for an exact answer. Shipping sometimes takes a while but they're pretty helpful.

Here's the link on Courtesy's website:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/auto-parts ... tgate-scat

EvilTheCat

Postby EvilTheCat » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:31 am

Pancetta, you are correct. There are 4 bumpers. For some reason on the link I posted earlier, the website say, "quantity per vehicle: 2" There are clearly 4 on my tailgate though. My litigate rattle has stopped since I put my new springs in. Both of the old one were broken.

underworld1001

Postby underworld1001 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:05 pm

I had one bumper missing on my 11. One thing that I can tell you is that is was a PITA to get it on. In the end, I just kinda wedged one side in and then pushed like I was shoving the bumper as a whole into the hole while turning it slightly at the same time. Went in that way.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”