Strange Lighting Issue

Topics related to Lights, Radio, Stereo, Headunits, Alternators...

Moderator: volvite

Devenem

Strange Lighting Issue

Postby Devenem » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:06 pm

Hey guys, I've tried searching all over the forum to see if anyone else has ever had this issue, and I'm starting to think that it may be unique to me.

While driving out to dinner with a few friends the other night, all the buttons in the center of my dashboard went dark (I have the NAV package with Bose 6 cd changer, screen still works fine). Thinking it was just a blown fuse, I parked the truck and went to eat with my friends. When we came back out to leave, one of my friends pointed out to me that my tail lights were out as well. The brake lights work just fine when I press on the brake pedal, and all the lights on the front of the truck work just fine as well (hi/lo/DRL). I checked the appropriate fuses in the fuse box and they all look good. I have very little experience with vehicle maintenance, and absolutely zero experience when it comes to electrical, so I wouldn't even know where to begin. I know for a fact that the tail lights were working earlier in the morning when I left for work, so I'm completely stumped.

Any ideas? Could the two issues be related?

Brmadsenad

That's hard to diagnose, but start with your battery/alterna

Postby Brmadsenad » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:01 am

It could be a short somewhere, which would be hard to diagnose. But when my alternator was going out, my interior lights and even dash warnings and indicators would do weird things. They'd be on and off, etc. at weird times.

If it runs fine, I'd take it over to an AutoZone and they have a device that tests the alternator without removing it from the car. They do it for free, and it seems to test it rather accurately, through the various phases/cycles that the Alternator goes through.

For free, it's a good place to start.

Devenem

Postby Devenem » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:34 am

I'm in Canada, so unfortunately no AutoZone for me. I'll take it to a Canadian Tire and see if they can double check the alternator for me and report back here once that's done!

Return to “R51 Electrical”