Introduction and first noticed problem

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

Sailor95

Introduction and first noticed problem

Postby Sailor95 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:41 am

So yesterday I became the proud owner of a 1998 pathfinder se 4x4 with 170k on the clock. It drives great but I have noticed the hard 1st to 2nd shift and also when at highway speeds if I let off the gas quickly there is a slight jerk I guess would be the best way to describe. I'm an owner of a land cruiser and heard these vehicles are close in reliability but I wanna figure out these problems before they become big issues

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:47 pm

These transmissions come with NissanMatic Type "D" ATF from the factory, which is the same as Dexron II. If Dexron III/Mercon was used during servicing over the years, it could cause sticking in the valve body. So, you could try flushing the trans fluid and replacing it with either NissanMatic Type "D" ATF or, what I would use, a synthetic ATF recommended for Dexron II applications, such as Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Transmax Multi-import ATF. If after some time it still operates the same way, it could be that some seals have hardened or there is an accumulator issue. The transmission section of the factory service manual has a symptom chart which will give you possible causes in order of likelihood and diagnostic procedures, including the self-diagnostic test. Nico Club's site has free, downloadable service manuals if you need one.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:46 am

I have been using dextron 3 on my 2001 since the beginning and it is what is suggested in the nissan manual for canada vehicle... Is there a difference between the usa and canada transmission ?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:30 am

Nissan put out a service bulletin years ago. Essentially, they said Dexron III/Mercon was okay to use for "topping off" the level, but should not be used to service the transmission as it could cause sticking in the valve body. Dexron III/Mercon ATF has a thicker viscosity than "original" Dexron and Dexron II and older Jatco transmissions were made to use the earlier formulas of Dexron. Now, Asian transmissions are designed to use ATF that complies with the Japanese JASO-A1 standard, most of which are synthetics and include NissanMatic Type J and S ATF, Castrol Transmax Multi-import ATF (which is the same thing as Nissan Type J) and Valvoline Maxlife ATF, among others.

fleurys

Postby fleurys » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Great info.. Thank you!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”