Brake fluid spurted everywhere after autobody repair

Anything relating to Wheels, Tires, and Brake options and upgrades...

Moderator: volvite

Dwyck99

Brake fluid spurted everywhere after autobody repair

Postby Dwyck99 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:55 am

2008 Pathfinder LE. So I had a tree fall on the front end of my car, more to the middle driver's side, It crushed the hood, grill, and pushed in the front upper frame around the engine bay a few inches. It was enough to cause some damage to the radiator.

I have insurance so it was covered. I took it to a body shop and they repaired it. I got it back late on a Wednesday, drove it home 1mile away and didn't drive it again. I drove it Thursday about 20 miles total and it seemed fine. Drove it Friday about another 20 miles total and parked it until late Fri night. Drove it about 3 miles and noticed a stutter when taking off from a red light... it felt like a transmission shutter or a little like the feeling when you take off and your tires lose traction due to a loose spot of pavement/gravel. I stopped and accelerated a couple more times to test and it still did it. My heart was dropping, I really thought it was something with the transmission. Parked and fluid was everywhere. Popped hood and fluid was dripping off the inside of hood.

Discovered it is brake fluid, the reservoir was empty.Fluid was sprayed all over lower drivers side bay and wheel well. Got it towed home. What most likely busted and most importantly, what could the shop hve done to cause this? They are close on weekends so I could not call them. I know they had to pull and straighten the frame out, plus removed front end - hood, bumper, I would imagine both fenders, replace radiator, fan, grill at the very least. Is it likely they would have had to come in contact with or do anything with the brakes or lines? Can't imagine it being a coincidence and not have anything to do with their work or something involved with the accident that they overlooked when repairing. What sucks it that fluid got onto the exterior and I am worried about damage to the finish. I know I see one spot around the door where I'm sure they did not do any work and the clear finish must have been a little worn down with age so the fluid ate off a small spot and cause some cracking.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm

It's really hard to say without being able to look at it in person. I would suspect a line didn't get tightened properly, but, who knows?

Dwyck99

Postby Dwyck99 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Thank goodness, turned out to be the hose to the power steering pump came off so it was not brake fluid that got on everything. Easy fix.

Return to “R51 Brakes, Tires, and Wheels”