Bought a 2005 Pathfinder! 40-60 mph vibration help!

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

Fryguy22

Bought a 2005 Pathfinder! 40-60 mph vibration help!

Postby Fryguy22 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:45 pm

Hey everyone,

I picked up a 2005 Pathfinder with 105k miles yesterday. Overall it seems to be in a good shape. I made sure to check the coolant overflow tank and tranny fluid for signs of SMOD and all looks good. The radiator looks like it was replaced at some point.

The only issue that I have is I am getting a vibration around 40-60 mph on the highway. It goes away at higher speeds and isn't present at lower speeds either. After reading soo much about SMOD this is still a concern of mine but I also see this could be U Joint related. I went ahead and bought all new Spicer U joints and will be installing them later this week to see that this alleviates the issue. Is there anything else I can do to make sure that this isn't the dreaded SMOD? edit: I just took a look underneath and it seems like all of the U joints are aftermarket. They have a yellow seals which don't seem OEM. Hmm...

Thanks for all of the help and I look forward to being an active member of this community!

DanJetta

Postby DanJetta » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:52 pm

How fast is the vibration? Rumble strips-fast is the transmission; bent rim-fast is usually the u-joints or driveline.

Fryguy22

Postby Fryguy22 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:18 pm

DanJetta wrote:How fast is the vibration? Rumble strips-fast is the transmission; bent rim-fast is usually the u-joints or driveline.
I just went and drove around a bit more. I can't get it to occur every time but it seems to be more focused around 55-65 when in top gear. When it occurs it does seem rumble strip fast. If I turn off over drive it goes away and doesn't reoccur until I turn it back on.

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:27 pm

most likely a u-joint. Sometimes hard to figure out, the best way is to drop the shaft and see if you get full articulation of the joint. Rear has 1 joint, the front propeller shaft (if equipped with 4wd) has 2.

Jrk2205

Postby Jrk2205 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:14 am

I would also check for uneven tire wear. My mercedes would vibrate between 55 and 68 mph on the highway. Turned out the alignment was off which was unevenly wearing the tires....hence the vibration. Just my 2 cents.

Fryguy22

Postby Fryguy22 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:06 am

The tires do need to be replaced but the fact that turning off OD stops the issue makes me think it's more driveline related. I have all new Spicer u joints on the way so i'll try those out first and see if the issue is resolved.

havanacaptain

Postby havanacaptain » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:01 am

I just posted a similar problem and avoided front driveshaft and front driveshaft ujoints being the problem by just removing the front driveshaft, then taking a test drive up to 65 and determined I still had the same problem so saved some money not trying to replace those.

Does your problem exist only when you press on the gas above 40-60 and it significantly subsides when you take your foot completely off the gas? If so, this is my exact problem as well.

Fryguy22

Postby Fryguy22 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:36 am

It was the dreaded SMOD. Transmission is toast. It started slipping yesterday. Luckily in New Mexico we have what's known as an implied warranty. It is valid for 15 days and 500 miles and covers severe failures. This means my transmission is covered and the dealer is on the hook for it! Looks like I lucked out this time!

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Fryguy22 wrote:It was the dreaded SMOD. Transmission is toast. It started slipping yesterday. Luckily in New Mexico we have what's known as an implied warranty. It is valid for 15 days and 500 miles and covers severe failures. This means my transmission is covered and the dealer is on the hook for it! Looks like I lucked out this time!
Wow! I hope the dealer does not give you a hard time on this. The great thing is you will have a new or rebuilt trans and new radiator. Was it purchased from a Nissan dealer?

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Fryguy22 wrote:It was the dreaded SMOD. Transmission is toast. It started slipping yesterday. Luckily in New Mexico we have what's known as an implied warranty. It is valid for 15 days and 500 miles and covers severe failures. This means my transmission is covered and the dealer is on the hook for it! Looks like I lucked out this time!
if your tranny fluid and the coolant in your reserve tank looked good (as in your first post), how was the problem diagnosed? :?

mixnight

Postby mixnight » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:25 pm

I have the same vibration when stepping on the gas from 40-60 miles but also even when car is stop doing/waiting on a red light or even when in parking position but the vibration is not constantly, I made sure is not because of the AC is running, i turned off the AC and vibration is there but not constantly.
I have to mention that I changed the front upper arms and struts and I notice that the vibration now is when stepping on the gas from 40-60 on highway or on any street and it's a little bit worse when driving going up the hill or in any steet that has and inclination angle going up. Before change the front upper arms and front struts the vibration only was when car is doing/waiting for a red light or in parking position which the engine on.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”