Heat issue in 2012 Pathy

Any topics related to 2005-2012 R51

Moderator: volvite

rangeoflight32

Heat issue in 2012 Pathy

Postby rangeoflight32 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:07 pm

I bought a 2012 Pathfinder a couple of months ago and loving it, but having a sporadic issue with the heat coming on. It seems like sometimes I can crank the temp up to 90 (the max) and it will just blow cool air through the vent. Although if I turn the vehicle off and right back on, then sometimes heat will correctly start to blow instead.

It isn't totally predictable how all of this works, but has happened several times. i guess with the SE USA 7 months summer on the way, it isn't a major issue right now but trying to figure out if I should have the dealership look at it or if I should just wait.

jhg120

Postby jhg120 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:50 am

I'm sure the smart guys will chime in, but I had a similar issue. When at a stop, red light, the blazing hot heat would turn cool. Once I started to drive, it would go back to hot. So it was mentioned to check the coolant, which was low. I did the "burp" method after filling it to proper level, and the issue went away, back to blazin' volcano fire heat.

So, check coolant and wait for the guru to respond.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:02 pm

They do have a tendency to trap air, so, as already suggested, check the coolant level and try purging the system of air. If that doesn't work, check the "heater pump." It mounted to a bracket on the firewall and sits to the driver's side of the engine. It'll have two wires going to it and two heater hoses. It's basically a small, electric water pump that helps push the coolant through the heater core(s). Most of the time, purging usually works.

Return to “R51 General Chat”