Air Conditioner compressor shot? What else....

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

99TexPath

Air Conditioner compressor shot? What else....

Postby 99TexPath » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:29 pm

Ok, I have some questions here. So I have two Nissans, both with AC problems. The first one is a 1999 R50 4X4 that now my wife drives....really like that old car. It is kind of a beater, but it has proven to be a quality car for us.

It stopped cooling a couple weeks ago here in Texas just before it is gonna be important :) I could not tell you if it was all of a sudden or over a few days....but it cooled wonderfully last Fall.

So I took it to the Nissan house.....figured it would cost an arm and a leg but it would be done right....well they diagnosed that it needed a new compressor and said then they would recheck it....well I guess I just felt like hmmm....

So here is what I know....before taking the Pathfinder in I could visualize the compressor clutch engaging properly. After the shop said it needed a new compressor I noticed the clutch would no longer engage....looked in the Haynes manual and jumped a wire to confirm that the clutch still worked....so figured it now did not engage normally probably due to low pressure since they may have inadvertently bled the system at the shop or something.........I put a can of R134a on the L pressure (with a single gauge) and as I charged it some the clutch kicked on.....the system took about 1/3 to 1/2 of a 12oz can....so I went to my favorite Chinese tool store and got a dual gauge manifold....it reads after about 5-10 minutes of running max ac 50psi on L and 52psi on H.....if I throttle up a bit it will draw down the low about 5 psi lower to 45psi.....so I looked in the service manual that soemone here linked to and the humidity for my day is not listed but I can see that the garage must be right....I would say that the compressor is shot...it pulls a little vac but doesn't push pressure?

-------So I get the system evacuated by the local shop, buy a compressor, o rings.....new drier......do I need to replace anything else like the expansion valve? I am not afraid to work on my own cars...just concerned I might miss an important detail like how I read to make sure I account for the correct amount of lube in the system...etc..

So I am long winded but you think I am missing anything here? I figured I would buy from Rock Auto..GPD or Four Seasons with the components as a kit.....any thoughts on brand name?

My other Nissan is a 03 Desert Runner with what appears to be a leak but I guess I had better wait to talk about that so as not to cloud the issue with the Pathfinder.

I appreciate any thoughts :)

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:12 am

The compressor is the big ticket item in the system. Changing the dryer is a must. After that, it's a good idea to also change the condenser since they're of such cheap construction and usually subject to extreme temperatures and pressures. Many good "kits" will also include the tubing since a good rebuild will require all the components to be flushed to remove old oil and residue.

99TexPath

Postby 99TexPath » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:12 am

Hey Hooligan,
Thanks for the reply. I am going kind of slow at this as I am balancing my job and school so I need to shoehorn time in when my wife is not driving to do the work. I think I know what I am going to order...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 91&jsn=370

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 91&jsn=375

The prices seem pretty good, although I know I am not buying "top shelf" items here, I am thinking it should get a couple more years on the car unless I screw something up on the install.

I have never ordered from rockauto but I have heard positive things about it and partsgeek....well the reviews seemed good or bad not between.

This kit should give me an acceptable drier, expansion valve, and compressor plus getting the condenser....I hope to not be plagued by any junk that the compressor may have spewed when it died.

Hooligan

Postby Hooligan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:15 am

Good luck with that. Flushing out what you don't replace is imperative. If you're balancing a job and school with this repair then I assume that money is tight. I turn all my AC work over to a trusted shop even though I have the gages and a vacuum pump, as well as the EPA vapor recovery certificate. I just don't fit under a hood or a dash like I used to and, I like the warrantee that comes with a professional installation.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Rockauto.com is a great place to pick up parts. Great prices, selection and customer service. When you place your order, there will be a box at the bottom of the cart that says, "How did you hear about us?" In the box, you can put a 5% discount code to save even more off of your order. You can Google for Rockauto codes; they don't care where you got it from or if you share it. This one is good until May 1, 2017:

99TexPath

Postby 99TexPath » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:37 am

Alright, I should have picked "pokey" as my handle since I am so slow at this but.....just received the new condenser, compressor, expansion valve, etc from Rockauto - Thank you smj for the discount code!

This week I am bringing the pathfinder in for the recall on the filler tube on the gas tank and will see about getting the system evacuated then. Still not "hot" yet here in Texas so I am still in my wife's good grace :)

99TexPath

Postby 99TexPath » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Ok guys,

It has been a bit of time here since I have commented on the situation. I have been pretty busy with grad school and work and was worried that if I tore into my wife's Pathfinder it might not go well.....so I waited until this last week when I had some time off in case things did not go well.

First off smj and Hooligan thank you for your encouraging comments - things went well! I replaced the compressor, the condensor, the expansion valve, and the dryer. I did have some frustrating moments when I was doing things where I bet a mechanic would just plow ahead but I had to scratch my head....for instance I figured I could just drop the bottom half of the plastic case that encloses the evap coil in the passenger compartment for access to the expansion valve but the whole case has to come out for ease of installation. My vac pump pulled a a vacuum on the system and I charged the proper ounces of refrigerant as per the sticker in the engine bay using a manifold from HF quality chinese tools and a cheapo kitchen scale. Also added some of the the proper PAG oil to account for changed parts. All in all it was a good experience that went well and I saved a TON of money. Rockauto was a good experience and the discount that smj pointed out helped as well!

I felt empowered to work on my Nissan pickup with its ac that is kaput .....but that is another story.

This is truly a great site< i enjoy browsing the issues people have with their cars and ideas to deal with them. Thanks again guys!!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”