Parking Brake Cable Grommet

Upgrades and modifications to Trims, Seats, Carpets, Roof Racks, Panels, Dashboard, Bumpers, Rocksliders, Paint, Decals...

Moderator: volvite

Praetorian

Parking Brake Cable Grommet

Postby Praetorian » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

So my parking brake cable grommet has just about completely fallen apart. This is the one that is under the cup holders where the cable goes through the body. I searched and could not find it listed on any parts diagrams for either the parking brake system or the body. But the body diagrams get kind of crazy.

From the service manual, page PB-4, it is listed as #9, Front Cable Grommet.

http://www.thenissanpath.com/filelib/R51B/PB.pdf

Does anyone know what part number this is? I was thinking it might be included with the parking brake cable as a unit. But the pictures I found don't show it included. Any help could be appreciated.

Looks like once I get a new one it will have to be slid on from the parking brake cable side...which sounds like more fun.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:20 pm

My guess would be it's part of the brake cable assembly, but, hard to say without seeing what you are talking about. Here's a part diagram link for the parking brake on a 2005 Pathfinder:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... ntrol.html

Praetorian

Postby Praetorian » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:21 am

smj999smj wrote:My guess would be it's part of the brake cable assembly, but, hard to say without seeing what you are talking about. Here's a part diagram link for the parking brake on a 2005 Pathfinder:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... ntrol.html
Unfortunately that diagram doesn't show the grommet but it's shown on the service manual diagram listed in my first post.

Here's the irregularly shaped grommet. The light above it is from the inside of the cabin. I started to take my console apart but that turned into an ordeal in itself. The cup holder insert is "glued" in with sound deadening material. I'd prefer not to pull the whole console. But I will probably have to.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm

The console isn't too bad to remove; I've done it before. You'll need to remove the rear cup holder to get to two of the bolts at the back of the console.
As far as the grommet, if it doesn't come with the cable, I would expect it to be on this diagram linked below, but good luck finding it!:

https://www.nissanpartsdeal.com/parts-l ... m=748_A002

Praetorian

Postby Praetorian » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:24 am

Bump. Still no luck. And as far as I can tell the grommet is not included with the parking brake cable assembly.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:55 am

Searched this and don’t really see anything on it. This is the most relevant post I’ve found.

Anyone have thoughts on the parking brake adjustment? My brake now goes all the way to floor and doesn’t hold. Do I just adjust the nut on the pedal under the dash? Surely it’s not THAT simple. But I’m hoping it is! Thanks for any input.

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:15 pm

NoCode wrote:Searched this and don’t really see anything on it. This is the most relevant post I’ve found.

Anyone have thoughts on the parking brake adjustment? My brake now goes all the way to floor and doesn’t hold. Do I just adjust the nut on the pedal under the dash? Surely it’s not THAT simple. But I’m hoping it is! Thanks for any input.
You sure that the cable is not broken or disconnected underneath somewhere?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm

If the cable is not broken, you have to start by adjusting the parking brake shoes. They sit inside the rear brake rotor and use the inside of the rotor hub as the drum, what is referred to as a "hat" design. It has star adjusters just like typical rear brake shoe systems have.

NoCode

Postby NoCode » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:29 am

ssobol wrote:
NoCode wrote:Searched this and don’t really see anything on it. This is the most relevant post I’ve found.

You sure that the cable is not broken or disconnected underneath somewhere?
How do you know if it’s broken?

Thanks for the responses guys.

ssobol

Postby ssobol » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Looking at the manual, the parking brake is a conventional drum brake that is inside the rear rotors.

There is a single cable from the pedal the joins up to two separate cables (one for each side).

You should be able to remove the rotor and see the brake assembly. See if the cable end and the toggle lever in the brake assembly move when the parking brake pedal is applied.

The manual says that to adjust the parking brake you apply and release the parking brake up to 10 times. Only do this when the rotor is in place though.

See section PB of the service manual.

Return to “R51 Body Interior and Exterior”