complete engine shut down

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

fjmiller

complete engine shut down

Postby fjmiller » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:31 am

First I apologize if this topic has been addressed. I am new to this forum and am still getting used to it,.
I HAVE A 2004 PATHFINDER AWD, 3.5L V6, 150,000 ORIGINAL MILES. SECOND OWNER AND BOUGHT IT WITH 26,000. Really well maintained.
Always had it in the pacific northwest.
Last september moved to Tucson. Spent much $$ getting ready for the trip. Brakes, custom rear coil springs, new rear main seal, cooling system, trans, brake system R & R. Ran like a top.
Then 3 weeks ago purchased 17 ft travel trailer. empty weight 2,600 lbs.
Well under the 5,000 limit. I towed the trailer about 4 miles in 90 degree weather. to where I live.
While circling the street I live on on level ground doing 20 mph. my dashboard lit up as the car just stopped running (stall).
I waited a few minutes. It started up without any problems or warning lights and ran fine .
Fast forward 3 weeks and Im pulling the trailer from Tucson to home . Its 105 outside. and after 25 minutes of steady grade (about 5 %) I have to stop at a light. As I pull away I reach 40mph and the smae exact thing happens. CAr just shuts off. (as if it stalls). I ease over to shoulder.
wait 3-5 min. try to start and it just turns over. Raise hood wait 15 min. It stats up nicely and no problem to my destination 5 miles away.
Now in shop. Check of fule pump pressure shows no problem.
does anyone have any ideas as to causes or how to diagnose this proble?

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”