Need help please

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

codydaniels

Need help please

Postby codydaniels » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi everyone
I'm helping a buddy with his 2011 Pathfinder. It is a V6 with an automatic. His stepson wrecked the front, enough to deploy the airbag but it doesn't look to bad. It ran and drove after that. He has been slowly replacing the damaged body panels so it sat for a while. The other day he tried to start it and the battery was dead. He put in a new battery and now it won't crank over. Everything powers up but the starter will not turn, not even a click. I verified there is 12v to the starter. I jumpered the starter terminals and the starter ran but did not engage the flywheel. I have checked every fuse in it with a meter. I have noticed that there is a light in the dash that looks like a suv with a key in the middle. I assume this is the security system. The dealer said to lock and unlock the doors 3 times, that did not change anything. We left the battery disconnected overnight with the terminals tied together to discharge everything. It still does nothing. Can you guys tell me what is going on with his truck?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Touchdown

Postby Touchdown » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:32 pm

I'm only a shade-tree mechanic on a good day...but...

Could the starter be damaged?
I would hit it with a hammer a few times like the old Chevys from the 70's to revive it!
Or you could just replace it like a normal person. (I just like hitting stuff)

codydaniels

Postby codydaniels » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:11 am

I jumpered the starter terminals and the starter ran but did not engage the flywheel.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”