What happens if you wait too long to fix your timing chains.

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

smj999smj
Site Admin

What happens if you wait too long to fix your timing chains.

Postby smj999smj » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:14 am

This is what can happen if you wait too long to address that timing chain noise in a VQ40DE engine. This is cylinder #2 piston damaged on an Xterra. Of course, there is valve damage, as well. Thankfully, it wasn't mine!:

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Wow! Ya not so good

Kestral

Postby Kestral » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:20 am

SMJ is that even worth fixing or would it be better at that point to short block it? I would bet rebuilding a VQ40 is not cheep?

SETI20

Postby SETI20 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:11 am

Tap tap tap!

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:24 am

Kestral wrote:SMJ is that even worth fixing or would it be better at that point to short block it? I would bet rebuilding a VQ40 is not cheep?
Well, this particular vehicle was one that had been at a GM dealer and was being worked on by a friend of mine, who sent me the pics. It has just been sold to a customer and I'm not sure where they got it from. Obviously, they didn't want to throw a lot of money into it. Interestingly, while the #2 bank, upper tensioner was worn to the point of the chain cutting into the tensioner plunger, he said there was no apparent damage to the valves or other cylinders on the bank. They ended up pulling the engine and replacing the #2 piston w/ rings, rod and rod bearings. Also, the oil pump, water pump, and the full timing set. There was a minor scratch on the combustion wall which is was pretty much able to get out with a little honing. The engine was put back together and I hear it's running fine! What the cost was, I don't know, but, apparently the dealer thought it was the cheaper route compared to the cost of a used engine, which they priced at $1700.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”