Is this timing chain noise?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

jwvand02

Is this timing chain noise?

Postby jwvand02 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:46 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8SkCTHvA8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXG8B2uDgkA

I bought this truck a couple months ago (2006 Pathy). It has 155k on it now.
The obvious signs point to timing chain noise, but I have some reasons to be suspicious.
Reason #1: It goes away once the truck warms up. It is very loud on cold start and under load when it is cold... once warm it sounds fine. It also can be somewhat intermittent, coming and going in short bursts. Shifting it into gear seems to quiet the noise substantially.

Reason #2: The typical VQ40 timing chain stuff seems to happen well before 100k - this doesn't seem like a manifestation of the known issue. I suppose it's possible that it's just worn down because of higher mileage at this point.

Reason #3: It's hard to really tell by myself, but I'd swear a lot of this noise is coming from the transmission. The transmission was rebuilt by the previous owner due to the typical failed cooler problem. It almost sounds more like a power steering pump or something.

I'm wondering if it could possibly be the wrong fluid or a faulty transmission filter.

I'm really hesitant to just tear into the timing cover (myself or a mechanic) when the problem doesn't seem to match what I've heard about timing chain problems. Hoping someone who has had the timing chain replaced can vouch that theirs exhibited the same behaviors.

HiBRiD109

Postby HiBRiD109 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Have you replaced the belt and tensioner at all? The OEM tensioners are known to be weak. Mine would whine or chirp when it was cold. I replaced it with the Gates enhancement kit and haven't had a problem since. Maybe take the belt off and start it a let it run for 10 secs to see if that eliminates the problem. Also check to see if any of the pulleys are loose or mis-aligned. Check to see if the power steering pump is aligned. I would eliminate all the easier and cheaper possibilities before tearing into the timing cover or transmission. I'm not saying it couldn't be the timing chain or transmission but I would rather spend $100 than $2100.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:31 pm

Well, throw out the mileage. I've heard of timing chain whine happening as low as 36,000 miles and my own 08 Pathy started whining around 145,000 miles. It all depends on how much wear was on the die that stamped the links of the upper chains.
As far as the YouTube vids, it's hard to tell; it's much better to hear the noise in person. It's interesting that you refer the noise to a power steering noise, because that's exactly how I describe it. If you ever heard an '80s model Ford with a power steering pump on the way out, that's exactly how it sounds. One can use a mechanic's stethoscope to try and isolate the source of the noise to under the timing cover. I don't blame you; I wouldn't want to tear apart the front of the engine for no reason, either! To me, it doesn't sound like the serpentine tensioner, but you could always remove the belt and start the engine to see if the noise goes away or not. One of the nice things about VQ motors is that because the water pump is driven by the timing chain, so running it without a belt won't cause the coolant to stop flowing through the engine while running.

jwvand02

Postby jwvand02 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am

smj999smj wrote:Well, throw out the mileage. I've heard of timing chain whine happening as low as 36,000 miles and my own 08 Pathy started whining around 145,000 miles. It all depends on how much wear was on the die that stamped the links of the upper chains.
As far as the YouTube vids, it's hard to tell; it's much better to hear the noise in person. It's interesting that you refer the noise to a power steering noise, because that's exactly how I describe it. If you ever heard an '80s model Ford with a power steering pump on the way out, that's exactly how it sounds. One can use a mechanic's stethoscope to try and isolate the source of the noise to under the timing cover. I don't blame you; I wouldn't want to tear apart the front of the engine for no reason, either! To me, it doesn't sound like the serpentine tensioner, but you could always remove the belt and start the engine to see if the noise goes away or not. One of the nice things about VQ motors is that because the water pump is driven by the timing chain, so running it without a belt won't cause the coolant to stop flowing through the engine while running.
The other oddity that I meant to mention - the "power steering pump" sound really only happens when the truck is cold. When it's warm, there is a faint whine (which indicates that the timing stuff probably needs replaced anyways) but it seems to almost be two different sounds.

I've tried isolating the sounds with a mechanics stethoscope, without a whole lot of success. The really loud sound only sticks around for a few seconds unless it's under load.

eieio
Sponsored Member

Postby eieio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:48 am

jwvand02 wrote:
smj999smj wrote:Well, throw out the mileage. I've heard of timing chain whine happening as low as 36,000 miles and my own 08 Pathy started whining around 145,000 miles. It all depends on how much wear was on the die that stamped the links of the upper chains.
The other oddity that I meant to mention - the "power steering pump" sound really only happens when the truck is cold. When it's warm, there is a faint whine (which indicates that the timing stuff probably needs replaced anyways) but it seems to almost be two different sounds.

I've tried isolating the sounds with a mechanics stethoscope, without a whole lot of success. The really loud sound only sticks around for a few seconds unless it's under load.
be sure to take a close look at your exhaust heat shields
http://www.thenissanpath.com/viewtopic. ... eat+shield

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”