plz help 98 pathy floods when i try to start it

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

anio

plz help 98 pathy floods when i try to start it

Postby anio » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:18 pm

I am at a complete loss for what is going on but I love my pathfinder and seeking out advice here is my last effort before giving in and junking it. Coming up on a year ago now it ran and drove just fine I drove it into work one day all still good when I tried to leave that afternoon it started very briefly and then stalled. After some time checking around I find that I have spark and fuel pump sound like its kicking on just fine but just because I'm not sure where else to check I start checking fuses. I don't remember why I decided to try this but I tried to start it with the fuel pump fuse out and it started and ran for about five to ten seconds. After repeating this over again and quickly shoving the fuse in be for it stalled I was able to get it running and drove home along the way the only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed was an occasional heavy bog. In the months that followed I replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator , mass air flow sensor, spark plugs and I feel like there was more but I can't remember. I really really don't want to junk it but idk what else to check or do any advice would be awesome.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 am

You need to learn how to test things and diagnose problems before replacing a part; that practice can lead to a lot of cost over time. There are a couple of things I would check. First thing I would do is a fuel pressure test and fuel pressure leakdown test; you will need a fuel pressure gauge in order to do this. The fuel pressure test will make sure the fuel pressure is within specs and, more important in your case, is not excessive. The fuel pressure leakdown test will let you know if one or more of the fuel injectors are leaking down when not running. If this is something that happens consistently, you can install a timing light to see if it senses ignition spark during your initial start. Lack of spark during startup can be caused by a couple of things, but I would highly suspect a faulty distributor. Smell the fuel and make sure it is not contaminated with gas. Perform a compression test and make sure it is within manufacturer specs. Check for stored trouble codes. You probably already replaced it, but, if not, make sure the air filter is not clogged. Also, make sure there are no intake leaks, including at the intake manifold gasket. Check the engine coolant temp sensor operation. Check the IACV-AAC valve and make sure it is operating properly. If you have done so, already, download or obtain a factory service manual for your vehicle; the engine control section would be of most help. NissanHelp.com has downloadable chapters in their "knowledge base" section and Nicoclub.com has free, downloadable service manuals. You can also sometimes find the paper version on Ebay.

anio

Postby anio » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am

Thank you for the fast reply. And you are so very right testing is a skill I need to work on lol I did do a fuel pressure test though I don't remember off hand what it was but it was good if I remember right and it didn't drop except for when I left it set over night it did drop but only a little tiny bit. I'll grab a tester and a compression tester on the way home and check it though to be sure. Haven't checked compression befor yet tough

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 01, 2017 7:11 pm

anio wrote:Thank you for the fast reply. And you are so very right testing is a skill I need to work on lol I did do a fuel pressure test though I don't remember off hand what it was but it was good if I remember right and it didn't drop except for when I left it set over night it did drop but only a little tiny bit. I'll grab a tester and a compression tester on the way home and check it though to be sure. Haven't checked compression befor yet tough
You can download the factory service manual from here. "EC" will cover engine control. "EM" will cover engine mechanical:

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/nissan ... nuals.html

I still prefer the paper manuals. Right now they are running about $100 on Ebay for your year/model, but every now and then you stubble upon a deal for around $25-35. They are worth every penny!

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”