2.5TD Turbo swap

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nateoverland

2.5TD Turbo swap

Postby nateoverland » Fri May 05, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi everyone,

has anyone on here ever swapped the turbo on a 2.5TD Pathy?

Mine has the classic Police Siren sound, i've checked the pipework and all looks fine, it does it loudly when cold but also still does it when engine up to temp so I'm assuming its out of balance or bearings gone or something.

I didn't fancy swapping the cartridge out as i don't trust the cheap potentially chinese eBay cartridges, so I got a second hand although practically new Garrett turbo and gaskets. I've got the oil to change and filter and i'm just missing a trolley jack to lift the truck up and some axle stands for safety before i can start the work, oh and also need to go to nissan and buy new copper nuts / studs for the hot side of turbo.

so i'm after some advice if anyone has some to offer?

Been googleing a lot and also got a workshop manual so here is what i believe is the process, any tips would be most welcome as its quite a daunting task for me.

- remove rubber air pipes
- remove heat shields from turbo and cat
- remove the ns wheel and arch liner
- undo the oil feed pipe and coolant pipe
- block coolant pipe from leaking (or drain coolant)
- undo bolts holding turbo to the cat and exhaust manifold
- remove old turbo
- prime new turbo with engine oil
- replace in reverse order
- change engine oil and oil filter
- replace wheel liner and wheel
- have a few beers

that is my plan.. and i really hope if goes that smoothly..

disallow
Site Admin

Postby disallow » Sat May 06, 2017 3:52 pm

Most of us on the forum are in north america, so only have the Gas VQ40 available.

But I've thought it would be cool to do a 2.5L Diesel swap someday. Doesn't look like my engine is going to die anytime soon, so I doubt this will happen in the next 5 years.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”