What am I in for?

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

volox

What am I in for?

Postby volox » Sun May 07, 2017 10:00 pm

I've currently got a 95 Pathfinder and love it. I'm contemplating purchasing a 2002 while I'm rebuilding my '95.

I looked at one the other day that looks like maybe it got hit several years back (since the paint on the front quarter panel and door are fading differently than the rest of the car).

Question to those of you that know the 2002 model... what problem spots should I be wary of in a used one? What do you think a used 2WD model with over 250k miles and some paint problems should be worth? (put aside the fact that you want maximum value out of the one in your driveway)

Thanks in advance for the input. Who knows, pretty soon I might be posting more here than in the '95 section.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Mon May 08, 2017 11:43 am

As far as value, that can vary depedning on where you live. A RWD model will obviously have less more value in "sunshine states" than say areas where they see more snow and 4WD is more desirable in an SUV. Your best bet is to use sites like www.NADA.com or www.KBB.com to determine your vehicles value, although, KBB can be a little generous is their valuations at times.

The good things about a 2002 Pathfinder 2WD:
-the 3.5L V6 provides plenty of power and has no timing belt to worry about.
-it has the updated rear suspension (changed in 99.5 model year)
-good ride for an SUV
-the lack of transfer case and front axle gives you a lot of room under the vehicle and is easier to work on

The bad things about a 2002 Pathfinder 2WD:
-some of the VQ35DE engines have had their power valve screws fall out and cause engine damage. This can be prevented by removing the upper plenum and applying threadlocker to the power valve screws.
-there have been some rust and rot out issues at the bottom of the strut towers, so make sure the vehicle you are purchasing is in good or repairable condition and the recall is performed
-upper and lower rear suspension link bushings are common failures on R50's, causing the vehicle to wobble or wander at highway speeds. Replacing the links sometimes calls for cutting through the bolts as they rust to the inner sleeve of the link bushing
-there have been a lot of check engine light problems on these R50's compared to the VG33E equipped, earlier models. Oxygen sensor codes and intake valve timing control codes are not uncommon. There have also been some ECM updates.
-ignition coils have been know to fail, but aren't always easy to identify if a specific cylinder misfire code isn't set.
-lack of 4x4 can hurt the resale value, if you choose to sell it later.

Wes

Postby Wes » Tue May 16, 2017 1:28 pm

I have a 2001 Pathfinder 2wd SE 3.5 with 192k on it and i have noticed that recently it is starting to show its age.

Search for Wes and see my problems. I am dealing with a Window problem right now. Already replaced my trailing arms and front struts. Have a leaking oil problem that I thought was fixed, but is still leaking. Have not replaced the timing belt yet. My check engine light comes and goes and is always an oxygen sensor. I never replace it. Just wait for the next tank of gas. Usually happens during an outside temp change or if I drive it on highway instead of daily commute in Atlanta. I love the car though. Not too big. Tows motorcycles and other stuff well. Don't have to worry about banging it up. Also, I think I may have an ignition issue. About once a month it won't start unless I wiggle everything just right.

volox

Postby volox » Tue May 16, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks for the input guys. Still on the fence about this one... but that's also in part because the seller seems to be a moving target on price.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 25, 2017 12:11 am

Wes wrote:I have a 2001 Pathfinder 2wd SE 3.5 with 192k on it and i have noticed that recently it is starting to show its age.

Search for Wes and see my problems. I am dealing with a Window problem right now. Already replaced my trailing arms and front struts. Have a leaking oil problem that I thought was fixed, but is still leaking. Have not replaced the timing belt yet. My check engine light comes and goes and is always an oxygen sensor. I never replace it. Just wait for the next tank of gas. Usually happens during an outside temp change or if I drive it on highway instead of daily commute in Atlanta. I love the car though. Not too big. Tows motorcycles and other stuff well. Don't have to worry about banging it up. Also, I think I may have an ignition issue. About once a month it won't start unless I wiggle everything just right.
2001 Pathfinders don't have timing belts, so there is no need to change it.

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”