A list of my life problems

Attack of the unibody snatchers! Styling and handling refined or bland? You decide.

Moderator: volvite

nathtayl

A list of my life problems

Postby nathtayl » Mon May 08, 2017 3:21 pm

So I'm on my 2nd pathfinder.

Previous was a td21 '90 Terrano. A beautiful love hate relationship; loved the slow motor and the lack of wiring. Hated the never ending suspension issues you get with torsion bars and all the other front end crap.

...And now I've found myself with an r50 '98 Pathy. 190km on the clock. Rust free, nice for Canada.

I guess I should maybe test my problems with the forum to get some feedback on what I'm thinking.

1. Engine light. I bought a new gas cap and that hasn't solved it, so I'm all out of ideas. Trying to find someone in Canada west coast that can run a diagnostics for free, instead of the $100 I was quoted. I found if I take off the battery for a few hours and throw it back on, it will turn off for a while. Doesn't seem to have any running issues, despite it being on for the past couple months.

2. Large clunk when the tranny goes from first to second. Much worse when I drive slowly. Torque converter?

3. Anything over 100km/h feels rough, and the car sways a bit on the corners. Rear shocks finished?

4. Windscreens are expensive.

5. Gas prices are not a friend to this 3.3l thirsty motor.

Thanks all.

nathtayl

Postby nathtayl » Wed May 10, 2017 10:11 pm

First things first, got the codes scanned.

1. P0400
2. P0440
3. P1448

Purchased new gas cap from Cambodian tire.

Looking into the EGR valve stuff and what to clean. I guess tissue paper, spray will get me over the line?

Unsure of the 1448 code, seems like something is open.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 11, 2017 2:38 pm

The P0440 (evap small leak detected) and P1448 (evap vent control valve) are likely related. Often it's the vent control valve sticking open, which is attached to the back of the evaporative emissions canister at the left/rear of the vehicle. Many times a new vent control valve can fix the problem, but, sometimes the liner in the canister will fail, causing tiny bits of charcoal to get sucked through the evap system. Remove the canister and take off the vent control valve and shake it over some newspaper. If you see little bits of charcoal falling out of it, you'll need a new canister and valve and will need to blow clear the rest of the system; there is a TSB of the cleaning process. If nothing comes out of the canister, then just replace the valve after checking to make sure there are no signs of disconnected or leaking vacuum lines in the evaporative emissions system.

For the EGR code, often the intake manifold port will get carboned up and need cleaning, but check to make sure the EGR valve diaphragm is not leaking and the BPT valve is operating properly. Consult the factory service manual.

nathtayl

Postby nathtayl » Fri May 12, 2017 7:38 am

Thanks. I'll look into the evap canister and valve. This is the technical bulletin I presume; http://www.aa1car.com/library/evap_niss ... 0-085a.pdf

Looking round for the part, it's like $150?!

Re the p400, I did see that it might be one of those pipes that needs cleaning and pretty straight forward. Get onto it this weekend.

Also, are there any outstanding recalls for the r50 96-99 pathfinders? I looked on Carfax and it seems mine hasn't had any recalls done.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 25, 2017 12:24 am

That's the bulletin! I don't know what the prices are in Canada, as I'm in the US. Down here, you can get the canister (if needed) for $150 from Rockauto.com (Standard Motor Products #CP3090 and the vent control valve for $75 (Airtex/Wells #2M1218).

Return to “1996-2004 Pathfinder (R50)”