To Buy or DIY 92414?

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

neggacold

To Buy or DIY 92414?

Postby neggacold » Mon May 08, 2017 8:04 pm

I looking to repair or replace the heater hose-assembly on my wifes 09 pathy. Looking at it today and smelled some coolant, found the culprit and as soon as i moved the hoses snap snap on both sides. LAME... Now I will take off of work tomorrow to address this issue as my wife's needs this everyday. So my question is still Buy or DIY?

Edit: Along the same lines with the rad and issues concerning it ive got some milky grey slimey stuff in my rad? I checked the trannie fluid and engine oil and they seem to be clear of any water contamination . Could the dreaded rad cooler only be letting the fluid in my radiator and not out?

Thanks,

DiBo

Postby DiBo » Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am

From what I know, if there was a failure of the trans cooler part of the rad the fluid would be compromised. You may have a bad head gasket and getting oil into the trans in which case could be expensive. Can you post a picture of the fluid from the trans, the rad and maybe the engine oil. Could be helpful in diagnosis.

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 pm

I would replace the heater hose assembly rather than repair it, as I've heard of a few "repaired" assemblies failing afterwards. Get the right part and fix it correctly, is my advice.

As far as the "slimy" stuff in your trans fluid, it sounds like the cooler has failed inside the radiator's lower tank. If you are under 100,00 miles and depending on the date the vehicle was sold, you "may" have some coverage under the extended warranty. If you are not covered and are not experiencing shifting issues, I would replace the radiator immediately and flush the transmission fluid. I would use Valvoline Maxlife ATF as it is one of the most affordable of the aftermarket transmission fluids that are compatible with NissanMatic Type "J" or "S" ATF. Walmart usually carries it in 1-gal. jugs for $18.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”