engine code after engine code

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

nismopath

engine code after engine code

Postby nismopath » Mon May 15, 2017 11:02 am

This all started a little over a month ago. I had been driving around for a week or so and randomly the car would shut off, it would stall in traffic, not crank up right away, loss in mpg and kept idling odd. It happened once in a week, then twice the next week then 4 times the next. No codes so I couldn't do anything yet. It finally popped a crankshaft sensor code. No problem, got a sensor and replaced it. All was good after that for about a month.
Now.. it kept doing the exact same thing, except every day this week it will stall to work. Its my only vehicle so I just have to deal with it until I get a day off. I took it to the parts store and they now say its p0340 Camshaft sensor bank 1.. PLUS some c1130 engine signal 1 ??

1. How common is it to have a crankshaft AND a camshaft go within 2 months ? sounds odd to me.
2. Is aftermarket ok to get, and since it is only bank 1 do I have to replace both ?
3. Is bank 1 that hard to replace, it looks tight back there.
4. What the heck is a c1130 code ?

2006 pathfinder with 100+miles

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 am

Camshaft and crankshaft position sensors are fairly common on these engines, so it is possible to have two of these failures occur in a short amount of time. As far as genuine Nissan versus aftermarket, I prefer to stick with genuine Nissan or Hitachi sensors when possible. If you are going to use aftermarket, at least stick with a name brand part, like Delphi or Standard Motor Parts-Intermotor, etc. Avoid generic, Chinese-made sensors that you can get really cheap on Ebay.
The camshaft sensors are a bit of a pain to get to, especially Bank #1, which is the right bank and the harder of the two to get to. Remove the engine cover on top of the engine, squeeze you arm down behind the head with a 10MM socket/ratchet and remove the bolt. Remove the sensor without disconnecting the harness to it. Remove the old sensor and install the sensor on the harness. Reinstall the sensor into the back of the head and reinstall the bolt. You only have to replace the one that is faulty, but be aware the right and left bank cam sensors are different part numbers.
C1130 is a CAN communication code between the ECM and the ABS control unit. This code can be triggered due to a faulty cam or crank position sensor, so I would fix the cam sensor, first, erase the codes and see if the C1130 code returns. If it does, then proceed to diagnose that.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”