2011 -- engine whine

The Gas and Diesel Engines - VQ40De, VK56DE, YD25DDTi, V9X, Transmission, Transfer Case, Oil, Differentials, Axles, Exhaust...

Moderator: volvite

underworld1001

2011 -- engine whine

Postby underworld1001 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Hey all, I just started noticing a very slight whine coming from the engine. At first I thought it was high pitched electrical interference from the radio since that is what it sounded like. But after turning off everything electrical (radio, AC, lights, etc...) while the truck ran, I can still hear the sound. I recently took it to the dealer for some oil change special they had and asked about it. They stated it was more than likely my belt since the tech their had marked down that it was glazed and would need replacement along with the tensioner. They also noticed a small oil leak from the O ring for the oil filter housing which they say is common and would need replaced as well. I watched a few YouTube videos and the whine doesn't sound too similar, but they all have the caveat that some times the whine is loud and other times is barely noticeable.

I declined both as I'm trying to cut down on bills as much as possible at the moment and tend to do most work myself. I notice that the sound comes and goes as I'm driving, but it's most prevalent when the engine is cold. I ran the VIN for recalls and my model is clear of them. I've seen all recalls for this stop at the 2010 year if this is indeed the issue.

I know it's hard to go by a simple description, but what I wanted to ask was if this sounds like the symptoms of a tensioner going bad. If so, I understand this is a massive undertaking to repair not to mention in the thousands to fix. I'll try and get a recording of the whine tomorrow before I leave to work since it's guaranteed I'll hear it.

With that said, any thoughts anyone?

smj999smj
Site Admin

Postby smj999smj » Wed May 24, 2017 11:45 pm

Well, the chain issue typically affects some 2005-2010 V6 models; I haven't heard of any issues with the 2011-and-later models. The issue isn't that the tensioner fails, but a poor stamping of the links of some of the upper chains that causes them to cut through the tensioners' plastic "feet" that contact the chain.
A lot of things can cause a whining noise in the engine compartment. It's not unheard of to have a bearing fail and cause the noise, which could be a tensioner pulley bearing, an idler pulley bearing or even the bearing in the alternator, power steering or A/C clutch. If you remove the belt and run the engine and the noise is eliminated, then it is likely to be one of those belt driven components that is causing the noise.

Return to “R51 Engine, Driveline and Powertrain”